Flame Height on Harman Allure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jpscroller

May 20, 2016
Arkansas
Let me begin by saying I am new to pellet stoves. I purchased a Harman Allure in the fall, and have been enjoying it. Recently I have noticed that the flame height is somewhat lower than it has been and I am trying to figure it out. Here are my thoughts:

1. Cleaning -- I clean the stove more than it recommends so I don't think it is that.
2. Feed Rate -- The default setting is at 65%, Does it need to be higher? Hate to adjust that since it has been fine up to this point which leads to next thought.
3. Pellets -- The dealer supplied me with 1 ton of pellets, so those have been really good so far. However those pellets are not available in my area. This dealer is almost 2 hours away. So I have been experimenting with pellets in my area? They don't seem to be as good. Could it be the pellet?
4. Outside Temp -- It has not been as cold outside in last couple of weeks so I was wondering it that could be it. I have made sure the temp setting on stove is several degrees higher than actual temp in room so it would be running consistently, rather than off and on.

Thanks for any help. Also, what is a normal time for igniter to start fire. Mine takes around 7 minutes, which seems longer than when I first got stove. Again, I'm wondering about brand of pellets.

Thanks,

Jeff

. Also, what is a normal time for igniter to start fire. Mine takes around 7 minutes, which seems longer than when I first got stove. Again, I'm wondering about brand of pellets.

Thanks,

Jeff

I bought an allure around the same time as you and mine still takes the same amount of time to ignite.

When you clean the stove, do you take the plate off the front of the burn pot and clean out the ash? Do you tap the front of the pot to clear ash off the ignitor? When you scrape the burn pot to remove carbon, are you also making sure the holes in the burn pot are clear of carbon and ash? The holes will "disappear" in the carbon and ash buildup.

I read a lot of blogs about people being on top of there Stove cleaning & thats great! But what i dont read is how often do they clean there combustion pipe this is as important as the stove its self & can cause low flame and other unrelated issues. I would suggest a leaf blower suction for your piping it cures 90 percent of isuues. If the cumbustion fan cant push air there is a problem. Just my two cents thanks.

I bought an allure around the same time as you and mine still takes the same amount of time to ignite.

When you clean the stove, do you take the plate off the front of the burn pot and clean out the ash? Do you tap the front of the pot to clear ash off the ignitor? When you scrape the burn pot to remove carbon, are you also making sure the holes in the burn pot are clear of carbon and ash? The holes will "disappear" in the carbon and ash buildup.

Yes to all your questions. I'm pretty sure I have figured it out. It seems to be the pellets. After using up most of the pellets the dealer gave me, I began experimenting. I have tried 7 different kinds. The last two was when I really noticed a lower flame and slower ignite. In doing some research, those pellets have a higher moisture content, not kiln dried, which really must make a difference. The best pellets I have used so far, next to the Ember Hearth that the dealer supplied are Somerset. I'm pretty sure that was the problem. I still had a couple bags of Ember Hearth left so I put them in. Ignited in about 5 minutes, and the flame was very high. Also, I'm sure this is not scientific, but the Exhaust Sensor consistently read 400 plus, while the other pellets didn't come close to that.

I do have one more question for you since you have the Allure. When I take the Allen wrench to push through the holes on top of burn pot, the majority go all the way through, but there are a few holes on the back left that feel like something is under the holes. At first I thought it was carbon clogging the holes, but I really think it is igniter itself. Is that right? If that is so, it seems like there shouldn't be holes on top of that to keep from pushing through and damaging the igniter. Right?

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

Whats under the hole does not matter as long as the hole is clear is all that matters.i never poke the holes on my burn pot cause i am constantly scrapping if I see any ash build up on the burn pot it gets scrapped. I scrape a dozen times a day depending on the pellets i use that piticular day.