Flames out, old unit, repair or replace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jerryo99

Oct 28, 2020
new jersey
I have a 1996 HeatnGlo, SL-36 gas direct vent. Over the last 3-4 years the flame would go out after about 20 minutes. I was able to restart but would go out again. Over the last 2 years I have had a number of repairman out to replace thermopile, switches and verify voltage. Still had the problem. This year the flame again when out after 20 minutes, but now I have difficulty even restarting flame, I have been able to jiggle the round knob that says off/on/pilot (see pic) and sometimes it goes on. Is it worth it to replace that part, the valve I assume? rather not spend thousands for anew unit but I understand it is 25 years old. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Fireplace.JPG
    Fireplace.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 103
Could be the switch. Try removing the wires from the rear of the switch & "jumping" the spades together.
If the unit stays on, then you'll know. If it goes out, with the wires jumped, make sure the connections for
the Thermopile at the terminal block are tight.

Sorry, I missed that. Do you know what millivolt reading he got on the thermopile?
Did he pull the burner & check for any obstruction behind the orifice?