kuribo Posted By kuribo, Jan 8, 2019 at 5:43 PM

1. kuribo

kuribo
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 10, 2007
    Loc:
    SW WI
    plumbing my 2 500 gallon propane tanks in parallel and want to use 4 stainless flex connectors (one on each port) to make the plumbing easier and allow for some movement. I have found a few industrial sources in the 8-10" range, 1" inner diameter, with male threaded ends. Best price I have found is around $50 each. Anyone have a good source? I noticed that hot water heater flex connectors come in 1" size and seem to be suitably rated for temp and pressure- anything wrong with using those? Thanks....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jebatty

jebatty
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern MN
    1" clean pipe for hydronic applications is spec'd at 8 gpm. This flow rate at 20F::DTis good to move 80,000 btus. What's the diameter of your supply and return lines to your boiler? 1" flex may be a choke point in your system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bad LP

Bad LP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Why do you expect movement? Iron pipe nipples and unions are short money and help tie everything into a solid mass.

4. kuribo

kuribo
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 10, 2007
    Loc:
    SW WI
    7pme0316Siggy_Figure6.png
    The tanks will be plumbed in parallel in a 2 pipe system similar to the above with larger headers which will have 1" supply/return from the boiler (100 delta T will move 250,000 btu/hr from the boiler at 5gpm, well within the capacity of 1" pex) and 2 1" lines from the tank header to my infloor supply manifolds. I can move 16gpm at a 20 delta T giving me a max 160,000 btu/hr to my infloor. My design point heating load is about 120,000 btu/hr so I should be fine.

5. kuribo

kuribo
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 10, 2007
    Loc:
    SW WI
    There will be expansion and contraction. I have seen flex connectors recommend by several industry professionals. Anything that makes plumbing easier can't be all bad!

6. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I looked around for some a bit when I did mine, also looking for an easier install. Couldn't find any suitable, so I just did the BI & copper thing.