Flex flue tape / slight smoke at startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rockstarroar

Jan 2, 2013
I've always smelt a little bit of smoke at startup on my Napoleon NPI-40 insert. Right before the pellets ignite and start filing up the firebox with smoke. Didn't think to much off it because its always done it since I moved in the house which had the stove installed prior. I just assumed the smell was from the small hole the heat exchanger cleaning rod goes through.

I was doing some maintenance today and cleaned out the access box at the bottom of the flue after I ran the soot eater down the flue. I noticed that when I started up the stove some smoke came out around where the flex stainless pipe connects to the stove pipe flue adapter. There is some tape on there (Nashua 324a) and I think it is leaking out near there. It stops once the fire gets going.

I was thinking I would just put some more tape on there, but all I have is some unmarked Nashua Foil HVAC tape at the house. I looked up 324a and it looks like its for cold weather applications, but a couple others on this forum have used it on flue pipe when doing a search.

Curious if there is a better tape, or something else to use? Stove runs 24/7 asides from cleaning, and has for the past 5 years without any issue with the tape burning or anything so I feel the 324a is safe. Just not sure if it isn't keeping a good seal, possibly due to the heat
IMG_7635.JPG
IMG_7636.JPG
?