Flue temp vs comfortable house temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pofarm

Nov 3, 2014
Carthage, MO
My wood stove is pretty large, double wall, and has a blower. If I build and maintain a fire hot enough to keep the flue temp over 275 to prevent creosote build up it roasts us out of the house. The house is 1200 sq. ft. and I think the stove would easily heat 2000-2500 sq. ft. I am having to keep the fire small to be comfortable, but the flue temp only runs in the 175 range. The fire box is not lined with fire brick and the manufacturer says they didn't line them. Would lining the fire box help get the flue temp up while not overheating the house? Any other suggestions?

What stove are we talking about here? And is that a magnetic thermo on the pipe?

IMHO flue temps over 275 may lessen creosote but certainly does not prevent it. A lot of factors come into play, especially how dry the wood is. I'm with BrotherBart, a lot more info is needed but if everything you say is accurate, I would sweep the chimney more often and check how much creosote is actually there. You may be fine.
Sometimes in winter, if your stove is keeping the house too warm, just opening a window and letting cool, fresh air in is a wonderful advantage of wood heat.

275 surface temp 18" up the pipe is around 550 internal temp which is a fine temp at cruising. Should be more on reloads till it settles in.

It's an old New Aire stove that I'm guessing was made late 80's/early 90's. It was made by a local company who no longer makes stoves. They make fireplace inserts now. The thermometer is an Imperial mag mount 18 inches above the stove.
If it were 275 surface temp I wouldn't worry about it. I can only run it 150-175 and still stay in the house.
I know running higher temps won't stop the creosote build up and I do sweep the flue several times during the winter (this will be the second winter living here). The wood is over 2 years seasoned. I bought it last year from a couple who had cut it for the 2012-13 winter. I have a rick left over from that.

Last edited:
Thats still 300-350 flue gas temp. Its usually about double. Which is adequate. Though a little higher has a better chance at preventibg creosote build up.

Have u swept thr chimney after burning it this way for awhile? Will give you your answer if tou need to change anything

I swept it a month ago, before using it this season. Just started using it again several days ago. When I swept it there was 1/2 inch or so built up in the outside flue. Not so much in the inside flue, I guess because of the higher temps closer to the stove. Last season I was sweeping it every 2-3 weeks to keep the build up down.

you need drier wood i think. and burn smaller fires but burn them hot. What is your chimney setup? height materials sealed at the bottom or not?

Double wall stove pipe too?

It's single wall inside, double wall metal outside. The flue exits through the wall. The outside flue is 15 ft tall with a sealed clean out at the bottom.

that setup shouldnt be to bad is it double wall insulated or triple wall air cooled and what size is the chimney and the flue collar on the stove? And what moisture content is your wood at?

I don't know if the flue is double wall insulated or triple wall air cooled. It is 6 inch, as is the stove outlet. I didn't install it. How do I tell the difference? I have no idea what the moisture content is, although the wood is 2 years seasoned and has been covered with a tarp since spring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.