Fly Ash coming out of the vent hood. Normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lass442

Nov 28, 2008
Massachusetts
Just went out to call one of the dogs in and noticed that several lit flies were blowing out of the vent. Should I be concerned, or is this normal?

Normal, but I would say only a couple every minute or so.

ok, that's about it... a couple every minute or so. nothing really severe. Just didn't know if I was going to set the woods or the house on fire. That would suck!

I've seen them come out of mine as well and I have no shrubs, dead leaves under it, and the end of the vent cap is about 12 " away from the house and 6 or 7 feet above the ground. They also go out in about 2-3 seconds.

yes, that describes the same set up here. Thanks so much for putting my mind at ease. DH gets very paranoid, I just run on common sense. Figured it was not a big deal, but needed some validation. Good job, syd.

I burned my first year with a direct horizontal vent and didn't sleep well seeing sparks come out the vent. When the winds would swirl I occasionally saw a spark land on the siding still glowing. It made me concerned, because whether someone said it was ok or not I was not willing to deal with the anxiety of potentially burning my house down to save a few bucks. This year I put a cleanout t on the outside, added 10 feet of vertical rise and the stove seems to run better and I can go to sleep knowing there aren't any sparks on my siding. $250 in extra pipe is all it cost for a clear mind. Just my 2 cents

My setup is an Up 4ft. and then Out with 12" out before the cap. Clean out tee is inside.

lass442 said:
..... noticed that several lit flies were blowing out of the vent. Should I be concerned, or is this normal?

I may be wrong, but you must have some sort of mutant flies to be able to withstand the heat....I would think their wings would catch on fire!

Must have been pretty neat watching them buzzing around in a circle until they crashed into the ground, especially if it was dark out....kinda like a sparkler.

I wonder how those flies got into your stove in the first place? :)

Macman, you are so funny!

That'll be a sure-fired way to get paranoid husband to stay on the deck with me 'til midnight tonight!. He can watch the fire-flies while I watch the stars! Any meteor showers in the forecast?

tinkabranc said:
Haven't you ever heard of "Fire Flies"? :lol:

Tink, I could have sworn that there were fire flies around WAY before pellet stoves.............but maybe not. :eek:hh:

I vent out of a fully lined 30' chimney and have never seen any "fire flies". The only thing I see from my chimney is a puff of black smoke when the PS starts up. I don't know if it's OK to see the "fire flies" close to you home, but I know I wouldn't feel comfortable in this situation.

sydney1963 said:
Macman, you are so funny!

I'm glad I can amuse you, m'lady. "All the worlds's a stage"........... ooops, wrong forum. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.