Fly Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

no1psycho

Jun 11, 2008
Eastern Maine
I just installed my P68 on Saturday and have been burning it off and on ever since. The stove is great and puts out an enormous amount of heat. The only concern that I have is that there seems to be a lot of fly ash embers flying around all over the place. Is this a normal condition? I've tried messing with feed rates thinking it was pushing new pellets in before they were needed but that didn't seem to help. If it's normal, that's fine, it doesn't bother me or anything I was just worried that I'm possibly blowing partially burned pellets around and I don't won't to waste any.

Thanks.

by fly ash, do you mean sparks flying around in the burn chamber?
If so I get some on my p38. Sometimes more than others depending on the pellets I use and how high I have the feedrate set.

no1psycho said:
I just installed my P68 on Saturday and have been burning it off and on ever since. The stove is great and puts out an enormous amount of heat. The only concern that I have is that there seems to be a lot of fly ash embers flying around all over the place. Is this a normal condition? I've tried messing with feed rates thinking it was pushing new pellets in before they were needed but that didn't seem to help. If it's normal, that's fine, it doesn't bother me or anything I was just worried that I'm possibly blowing partially burned pellets around and I don't won't to waste any.

Thanks.

Fly ash embers around all over the place?
Does this mean in the kitchen, bedrooms, on the couch, front porch?

Fly ash and embers are two different things.

If you burn pellets you will get ash. Some pellets a little more than others but you will get some ash.

Eric

So what you're saying is that its okay to have some ash from time to time, and if you get too much ash you might have to start going to meetings?
Sorry, its a little silly here this AM I couldnt resist.
Eric

Everyone likes a little ash but no one likes a smart ash.

Eric

D'oh

kinsman stoves said:
Everyone likes a little ash but no one likes a smart ash.

Eric

:lol:

On a serious note, the little flying "sparks" are a normal part of pellet stove operation, from what I can figure out.

And ash...well, DUH, you ARE burning wood, so there is always going to be some ash left over.

As long as its all remaining contained in the stove.

Yeah, I know I'm going to have ash. And, yes it is staying in the stove. I am from Maine but give me a little credit. I'm talking about the little "sparks" that are flying all over the place. Give me a break, I am new to the pellet scene...

wizardsway1 said:
I am looking at a US Stove 6039 for my basement ,any comments.

It would be helpful to start a new thread in order to have a better chance of your question being answered.

IMG_0814_1_1.gif

If I didn't get sparks I would sell it , very entertaining.

Nice stove and picture.
I like the sparks, at least the fire is alive.

Thats pretty. Do you get a good view from the sides of the bay window on that from the fire?

no1psycho said:
Yeah, I know I'm going to have ash. And, yes it is staying in the stove. I am from Maine but give me a little credit. I'm talking about the little "sparks" that are flying all over the place. Give me a break, I am new to the pellet scene...
If they're inside, they're from fines no doubt and are burning so therefore producing a little bit of heat. Nothing to worry about.

Jester said:
Thats pretty. Do you get a good view from the sides of the bay window on that from the fire?

Yes, all sides. The Penningtons fog up the the right panel more than Energex, only have full hopper and one bag left. It is actually a grey haze you can still see through. The front panel stays the cleanest, very little haze.

no1psycho said:

Those sparks are the ash being blown out of the burn pot, This is a good thing if the ash did not blow out of the burn pot it would smother your fire out, It sounds like your stove is running great.

enjoy the heat!

bill

Yes, all sides. The Penningtons fog up the the right panel more than Energex, only have full hopper and one bag left. It is actually a grey haze you can still see through. The front panel stays the cleanest, very little haze.
Most Stove don't have air washes on the Bay glass...Cool phot tho!...Happy BURNIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.