Food UPC Codes Reveal Country of Origin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hearth Mistress

Minister of Fire
I just got this info, thought I'd pass it on....looking at stuff in my house, seems spot on but do your own research...

With all the food and pet products now coming from China, it is best to make sure you read label at the supermarket and especially when buying food products. Many products no longer show where they were made, only give where the distributor is located. The whole world is concerned about China-made "black-hearted goods".

It is important to read the bar code to track its origin. How to read Bar Codes....interesting !

If the first 3 digits of the bar code are 690, 691 or 692, the product is MADE IN CHINA.
471 is Made in Taiwan .
If the first 3 digits of the bar code are 00-09 then it's made or sourced in USA.

Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products "MADE IN CHINA", so they don't show from which country it is made. However, you may now refer to the barcode -

Remember if the first 3 digits are:
890......MADE IN INDIA
690, 691, 692 ... then it is MADE IN CHINA
00 - 09 ... USA and CANADA
30 - 37 ... FRANCE
40 - 44 ... GERMANY
471 ........ Taiwan
45 or 49 ........JAPAN
489...........HONG KONG
50 .......... UK
57 .........DENMARK
64..........FINLAND
76.........SWITZERLAND and LIENCHTENSTIEN
471......... is Made in TAIWAN (see sample)
628.........SAUDI ARABIA
629.........UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
740..........745 - CENTRAL AMERICA

All 480 Codes are Made in the PHILIPPINES. Share it!

What is the source of this info and does it apply to all food? I just checked a few items that are clearly labeled Made in U.S.A. and they start with 656 and 814.

Thanks for posting that RG, it was very helpful. I tried a bar code reader app but that just showed the product info, no country of origin.

What is the source of this info and does it apply to all food? I just checked a few items that are clearly labeled Made in U.S.A. and they start with 656 and 814.
curious, got a separate 0 to start would make it 06 usa. I've got some Chinese garlic 6 (couple spaces) 98.

As RG noted, this doesn't seem to apply to UPC used by the US, but is seen overseas.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Snopes is just awesome, I wish more people would use it. At least once a week I get some chain email or see a friends facebook post that 20 seconds on snopes will debunk.

What? Jackie Chan isn't dead? A cattle farmer didn't install an ATM in his tombstone to dole out cash a bit at a time to his heirs? The number 666 doesn't appear in all bar codes? Bill Gates isn't giving me $5,000 if I click his Facebook post and share the post with all my friends? Target doesn't hate veterans? The best way to tell what is in toothpaste is to simply read the ingredients listing instead of looking at a colored square on the tube and then trying to remember what color it supposedly matches up to?

Shocking! ;)

Reactions: jharkin
Status
Not open for further replies.