For those wondering, soft or harwood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. It makes it hard for the average Joe out there when everyone is touting the 'hardwood' pellets just like the firewood...

OK, I read that article and it says this, "Most warehouse clubs and retailers carry pellets that have a strong smell of cardboard, or other unpleasant scent. DO NOT BURN THESE PELLETS! "

But when I'm into March and running low I buy from these kinds of retailers. But I don't buy them unless they have the seal of the Pellet Fuel Institute.

http://www.pelletheat.org/3/institute/standards/PFI Proposed Standards Matrix.pdf

To get the seal the Institute mandates:

"It is required that PFI manufacturer members label their product as to which grade of material is in the bag and that they disclose the type of materials (e.g. oak, maple, cedar, fir, corn, wheet straw, etc.) as well as all additives being used, and if there are any chemically treated materials.

"It is recommended that manufacturers include on their bags the membership logo and in a printed block the guaranteed analysis."

So unless I'm missing something here, pelletking.com is painting with too broad a brush, and if you read the label carefully, you'll b OK>

This does seem like a bit too general statement. The odor comes from the type of tree the sawdust comes from. For years I burned Lignetics softwood pellets from Idaho. They had a mildly disagreeable odor, but were excellent pellets and for a couple years sold at the local Home Depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.