Found it - 3" to 2" flex aluminum fireproof OAK adapters for Selkirk DT or just long runs!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Since PVC and anything not fire proof is not within code, there are very few off the shelf parts!

You guys know, that when using 3" diameter flex aluminum OAK venting, most pellet stoves have a 2" OAK flange. The code states no PVC solution even though the intake air is cool.

Here is what I found from Pep Boys and Advanced Auto Parts for $9.47 !

Pep Boys
1. NI (Nickerson Industries) Adapter for auto exhaust systems
2-1/2 ID and 2-1/4 OD part # 17518

Advanced Auto parts
2. 2-1/4 ID and 2-1/8 OD Part # 548521
3. Autocraft 2 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 Hose Clamps

Some stoves like the Santa Fe only needs the 1st adapter.
Other stoves like the Englander 25PDVC also needs the 2nd adapter for a better fit on the stove flange.

High Temp RTV can also be used here for a nice solid seal

Pic 1 - Hose clamp and 2 exhaust adapters
Pic 2 - cost
Pic 3 - Englander 25-PDVC with both adapters connected
Pic 4 - Hose Clamp
Pic 5 - 1st adapter with foil tape and hose clamp for a snug fit.
Instead of the foil tape you can also put cuts in the flex tubing to reduce it and clamp it.
Pic 6 - Fire Proof 3" to 2" OAK connection ! ! !

Click to Enlarge

Attachments

• SelkirkDToakAdapter1.JPG
    SelkirkDToakAdapter1.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 582
  • SelkirkDToakAdapter2.JPG
    SelkirkDToakAdapter2.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 599
  • SelkirkDToakAdapter3.JPG
    SelkirkDToakAdapter3.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 516
  • SelkirkDToakAdapter4.JPG
    SelkirkDToakAdapter4.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 525
  • SelkirkDToakAdapter5.JPG
    SelkirkDToakAdapter5.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 515
  • SelkirkDToakAdapter6.JPG
    SelkirkDToakAdapter6.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 499
Thanks for the write up! Do you know if the intake on the santa fe is the same diameter as the mt vernon? This has been something I've been meaning to look into as well.

Thanks for the write up! Do you know if the intake on the santa fe is the same diameter as the mt vernon? This has been something I've been meaning to look into as well.

Usually all quads are the same so my educated guess would be yes. That 1st piece and the radiator clamp should do the trick. :)

Please let us know.
Thanks

Excellent.

Usually all quads are the same so my educated guess would be yes. That 1st piece and the radiator clamp should do the trick. :)

Please let us know.
Thanks
By the first piece are you referring to the part from pep boys?

i wonder how much a muffler shop would charge to expand a piece for you? it could be another option to look into!;)

i wonder how much a muffler shop would charge to expand a piece for you? it could be another option to look into!;)

Good Idea, but that is custom work so the shop must be able or just willing to do that.

By the first piece are you referring to the part from pep boys?

Yes, but I just found the same piece at Advance
2-1/2 ID to 2-1/4 OD part # 548518A

Hello

Just found another adapter at PEP Boys

Nothing is perfect but this is very close and will fit some stoves like the Santa Fe better. The two above together will fit the 25-PDVC better.
NI (Nickerson Industries) Adapter for auto exhaust systems
2-1/8 ID and 2-1/2 OD part # 17558 (548558)

Therefore you may need to test it, but with some High Temp Silicone it can be a good seal!

The Selkirk install manual says "
If the diameter (OD) of the inlet is less than 3”, make 4 to 6 three inch long parallel cuts equidistant around the circumference of the flex pipe end.
Overlap the cut edges to reduce the flex pipe end diameter to the diameter of the stove combustion air inlet."
From a newbies point of view what is the difference between cutting slits and using a 3" to 2" adapter for the OAK?

The Selkirk install manual says "
If the diameter (OD) of the inlet is less than 3”, make 4 to 6 three inch long parallel cuts equidistant around the circumference of the flex pipe end.
Overlap the cut edges to reduce the flex pipe end diameter to the diameter of the stove combustion air inlet."
From a newbies point of view what is the difference between cutting slits and using a 3" to 2" adapter for the OAK?

I have seen the cuts work, but it is tedious. The adapter must be fire proof, that is the stipulation, so the only adapter that I could find that was fire proof is the muffler adapter. Therefore either way works, I do prefer the muffler adapter because it is much easy to get off and back on when servicing the stove. :)

I have seen the cuts work, but it is tedious. The adapter must be fire proof, that is the stipulation, so the only adapter that I could find that was fire proof is the muffler adapter. Therefore either way works, I do prefer the muffler adapter because it is much easy to get off and back on when servicing the stove. :)
Thanks. Gives me something to research tonight at work.
What about a silicone adapter for a turbo intercooler? They get pretty hot. Use a 3 in. connector so that the hose clamps have something rigid to clamp onto. Their temp rating may not be high enough though.
I'll keep looking.​
1)Working Temperature: -76°F (-60°C ) to +500°F (+260°C)2)Working Pressure: 0.3Mpa (43.5 PSI) to 0.9Mpa (130.5 PSI) 3)Bursting Pressure: 2Mpa
4)Thickness: 5mm, 4 ply reinforced 5)Size tolerance: +/-0.5mm

6)Inside Diameter: 2.0"-3.0" (51mm-76mm)
7)Length: 76mm
8)Wall: 5 mm

Found it on Ebay $9.95. Looks like they took a 2 - 2 1/2 in. and 2 1/2 to 3 in. pipe and cut and welded them together to take away some of the length. Doesn't say if it is ID or OD but I think I can make it work as I have a 50mm or 1.97" intake OD

Good find!

However The 2-1/2 ID I used was easy to get the 3" OAK metal flex over it. It may be too hard to stretch it out to get it over the 3" ID SS piece you found

If this company makes a 2-3/4 to 2" SS adapter that would be ideal!

E-Bay has it cheaper than Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ste...merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1370267177&sr=1-14

Alot cheaper than speedy racer!
http://www.speedyracer.com/Piping-Reducer-2-to-3-Stainless-Intercooler-kits?filter_name=piping 2-3

and buy zillion too
http://www.buyzillion.com/1117169882332606/stainless-steel-exhaust-piping-reducer-2-to-3

51VhH3r8OEL._SX385_.jpg

Reactions: EastMtn
I think Quad uses a 3" on all models, though you have to mount a collar to the back of the appliance to receive it. Also, when using OAK on quads it's important to keep the ash pan area clean as the air come in from under the tray.

Hello

I have 2 Sante Fe's and a Contour. They all have 2" OAKs, that is why I got the adapter above!
Pic below is a Quadrafire SantaFe with adapter.

99209-56c298e569167c53cba1523d615d1c3c.jpg

if only you could find a 90 degree flange for the classic bay I ended up using a exhaust flange and 2 inch pipe worked but kinda clap trapy

Looks good..

I ordered the 2 to 2.5 in and the 2 to 3 in for my install. We'll see how it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.