free red oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
Just pickup about 2 cords of red oak. It was knocked down from the winds we had here in jersey. My question is if I split and stack it now is it possible to burn a next November?

Reactions: zap
Red Oak normally takes 2+ years after split & stacked to season & dry enough to burn well.
Others with more info for your area will chime in.

Top notch wood. I hear it's worth the wait ;)

I say maybe if you split them small and put them in single file stacks where they will get good wind and sun.

I think it depends on what you are burning it in. A fireplace or old smoke dragon? You might get by, but with a newer EPA stove you should wait at least 2 years and 3 is preferred. A lot depends on how and where it is stacked.

Yes it is possible to burn red oak in a year - I did it for many years. If there's any way to wait though, I would recommend it. Since you said it was blown over, I'm guessing it was live, which means you're probably looking at 3 years c/s/s to get the best burn out of it. The wood will burn much easier and you will burn less of it and get more heat. Most other woods dry in a year, oak takes multiple years but it is worth the wait.

I live a further south then you , ive burned oak after one yr. It does ok. But ive also burned it 2 yrs later and what a huge difference it makes.
If you can wait 2-3yrs you would be amazed at the difference. The longer it dries the tighter the wood fiber become,thus creating longer and hoter burn times....AH seasoned Oak ;)

Just pickup about 2 cords of red oak. It was knocked down from the winds we had here in jersey. My question is if I split and stack it now is it possible to burn a next November?

NO! You will still fight the fire if you try to burn it in 2 years. Wait 3 and you will not be sorry a bit.

Wait an extra year and I suspect you will be very, very happy . . . maybe not as a professional wrestler directing traffic or a witch in a broom factory . . . but still pretty happy. :)

Try and get sone ash or maple for next year, in fact for the next two years and save the oak, try and get more oak too and let that season for the future, I always have some oak seasoning for 3 years down the road.

I'm right there with you tumm21. I've been splitting some red oak I scored from Sandy the past few days. It's nice wood but hard to imagine I won't be burning it until the winter of 15/16. I'm new to the wood burning lifestyle and I don't have much seasoned wood built up yet so it tough to look at so much wood and no it's off limits.

I was able to scrounge some Red Oak this year, it will season for two years maybe three before we burn it.

zap

Oh I thought you were giving away red oak by the title, shucks.

Reactions: remkel
On family land were we cut wood, sandy managed to bring down alot for red oak tree. There is at least 2 loads stacked on the truck in one. As long as it doesn't snow, were going to cut them up and split (we split all wood in the woods becasue of the mess, I'm mister neat and tidy) and bring it home and stack them in single rows and let them dry for 2 years. I hope we don't have anymore storms like that because i refuse to let the wood lay in the woods and rot up, but I'm running out of room to put any.

Status
Not open for further replies.