Free Standing Fireplace install options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SCH

Dec 4, 2022
Maine
Hi all, I've got a customer looking to have a free standing fireplace installed. it is from the 70's which vents from the top. Ideally he'd like to have the fireplace vent through the side of the house and then up above the roofline. Am I able to get proper draft if I vent up say three - four feet, then 90 out the side of the house then 90 and up another say 10 - 15 foot or so to get enough height such that the vent cap is high enough above the roofline.

Or, if I go straight up, through the ceiling I'd be into a bedroom closet and the up through the roof. If in a closet I assume the vent pipe would need to be encased, away from combustables and I'd have to use double walled pipe throughout?

Customer would prefer out the side of the house and up. I'm more experienced in pellet than wood stoves and venting requirements are MUCH different.

in the end I need to be sure he's going to get enough draft.

Any and all responses are much appreciated.

SCH

Hi all, I've got a customer looking to have a free standing fireplace installed. it is from the 70's which vents from the top. Ideally he'd like to have the fireplace vent through the side of the house and then up above the roofline. Am I able to get proper draft if I vent up say three - four feet, then 90 out the side of the house then 90 and up another say 10 - 15 foot or so to get enough height such that the vent cap is high enough above the roofline.

Or, if I go straight up, through the ceiling I'd be into a bedroom closet and the up through the roof. If in a closet I assume the vent pipe would need to be encased, away from combustables and I'd have to use double walled pipe throughout?

Customer would prefer out the side of the house and up. I'm more experienced in pellet than wood stoves and venting requirements are MUCH different.

in the end I need to be sure he's going to get enough draft.

Any and all responses are much appreciated.

SCH
First off what stove is it? Does it have a UL tag on it?

First off what stove is it? Does it have a UL tag on it?
Hi Bholler, thanks for the question has no tags that I can see, was purchased used, a free standing fireplace. Proper draft will be key for sure.

image1.jpeg

Hi Bholler, thanks for the question has no tags that I can see, was purchased used, a free standing fireplace. Proper draft will be key for sure.

View attachment 309791
I would seriously think about whether installing that for your customer is worth the liability risk to you

That looks like an old and neglected Malm.

I would seriously think about whether installing that for your customer is worth the liability risk to you
Thank you bholler, and totally appreciate the very honest comment for sure. And I'll definitely go back to customer with some more viable options. I suggested pellet stove, he was concerned about power outage, I said I run small gen and easily powers my pellet stove. With that said, if someone were to install such a free standing fireplace, what venting would you use? can something like this properly draft with a small rise inside, then two 90's to an additional rise outside? I've been searching for a while and can't seem to find the type of guidance for wood draft as I can on pellet, fans make all the difference, I want to a) learn more about wood and b) be able to speak intelligently to the customer with regards to what the rationale options are. I'll not do anything that risks any customer's well being, we all work hard here to ensure the opposite. And again, thank you very much for the responses, much appreciated. I get that sometimes a customer just can't get what they want and that's a good thing in the end.

thank you, looked them up, looks like you are right. and their manual is pretty clear on frowning on elbows.
It should be inspected carefully for integrity and if ok, installed correctly. In good condition, these fireplaces and Preways of that style and vintage have really gone up in value.

It should be inspected carefully for integrity and if ok, installed correctly. In good condition, these fireplaces and Preways of that style and vintage have really gone up in value.
Thanks Begreen, I assume the best source for acceptable installation method is manufacturer. hard to find clearly defined requirements, like run and rise, etc. read through Malm's manual for similar model and they stated to stay away from 90's on single story install. But I didn't see specifications for min or max rise or run or the like.