French Toast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do they sell grade B? I only see grade A fancy on the website.

I noticed that. Call him. Nice guy. He may have some, just not enough to post on his web site.

If you call, mention the guy (me) that sent him a lot of cornbread recipes several years ago. They were from The Southern Heritage Breads Cookbook. First Chapter is "Corn! Corn! Corn!" :)

If anyone goes to K E Farm during maple season. Look to the woods on the left as you go up the hill for all the tapped tree and tubing. Pretty neat!

These were fantastic: almond scones with maple cream. Nan (wife) and I volunteered to give tours on a recreation Viking ship every weekend during the summer 2017. The day would start with a 7 AM breakfast at the expedition manager's house, owned by Mystic Seaport. I'd bake something every Friday afternoon for the breakfast. The last weekend was almond scone with maple cream. Luke, the expedition manager, bit into a scone topped with maple cream, "you outdid yourself with these." Nan asked me to make them last. :)

Almond scones: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/almond-scones-103608. Rather than dusting with powdered sugar: bush with milk and sprinkle on pearl sugar before baking.

Attachments

• IMG_1874 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1874 - Copy.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 186
As much as I praise the folks here in Maine with their events in March with Maple Syrup Sunday, the folks in Quebec do Sugar Houses up in a big way.

I've been crossing the border into Quebec for the past few years to have a meal at the Cabana au Sucre in Lac Megantic . . . if you leave hungry there is something very wrong with you. My favorite is the crispy pancakes, but honestly everything else on the menu is pretty darned good.

http://en.cabanemegantic.com/menu/

Reactions: coutufr
We used to take trips up to Parker's Maple Barn in NH.... that place was tasty...

I have a few friends back in VT and NH that have maple farms and it makes me happy when they send gifts :)

Reactions: Lone_Gun
We ate there when we did NH Maple Days. Neat place. :)

Anyone have a favorite french toast recipe?
Mine isn’t fancy, but it’s tasty and quick, when you want to get the family fed on Saturday morning, and get outside to process some wood.

Scale however you like (I usually do 3x everything, for my family of four):

1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Each egg makes about four slices of bread. Cook in butter on cast iron skillet. Serve with real maple syrup, Shiloh Sugarbush (PA) is our favorite.

You’ll need to beat the cinnamon back into the mix each time you put another slab of butter and prepare to dip the next batch of bread slices. Usually served with brown sugar sausage links.

One thing we have here in PA, that the rest of the country is generally not aware, is Pork Roll. A Taylors pork roll and egg sandwich may be the perfect breakfast, try it if you’re not already familiar.

Last edited:
Mine isn’t fancy, but it’s tasty and quick, when you want to get the family fed on Saturday morning, and get outside to process some wood.

Scale however you like (I usually do 3x everything, for my family of four):

1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Each egg makes about four slices of bread. Cook in butter on a cast iron skillet.

You’ll need to beat the cinnamon back into the mix each time you put another slab of butter and prepare to dip the next batch of bread slices. Usually served with brown sugar sausage links.

One thing we have here in PA, that the rest of the country is generally not aware, is Pork Roll. A Taylors pork roll and egg sandwich may be the perfect breakfast, try it if you’re not already familiar.

that is pretty much my classic as well...

You're from here? I used to go skiing at Mohawk Mountain (mountain in name only :) ) when I was a kid in the late 1960s and 1970s.

Used to go to Lime Rock park for the IMSA races Memorial Day and the Vintage Fall festival labor Day weekend. Fun time!
I lived a mile from Mohawk Mtn at one point and have spent many days at Lime Rock. A friend used to work their. I have fond memories of the good concerts up in Lennox and Tanglewood too. A part of New England will always be in my heart.

What are they like?

Crispy. :)

Flat and crunchy . . . a nice light flavor. My mouth is actually salivating thinking about them right now . . .

Reactions: Ashful
and now back to our program in progress
i hope someone here knows this recipe. the wife and i went down to Newport RI. for a weekend a while back and stayed at a B&B. that morning was what this man called french toast. he made it with the normal way of french toast with another ingredient. banana's and soaked the bread in this mixture over night. haven't heard anyone speak of it since. this did taste like a dessert. would love to have this recipe again. anybody:)

Poke around the B&B web site I posted above under both French Toast and Breakfast Casseroles.

My recipe is simple...fresh eggs & milk, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, & a bit of ginger. Whatever bread we have handy. Real maple syrup if we got it.
I have decided that french toast is the only winter storm food people eat...because you cannot find milk, bread, & eggs before they come through...

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Last edited: