fresh air induction, and limit switch question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j7art2

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2014
Northern, MI
My dinosaur Energy-Mate wood furnace is working pretty well now, as I've heated down to -15*F nights with it. I appreciate all of the help thus far with you guys helping me get it going. It's serving me well for the estimated 20-40 year old log eating monster that it is.

I do have a few questions though. My fresh air induction fan literally runs non-stop all the time. Seriously, the only way it shuts off, is if the house gets up to temperature which it almost never does unless I ride the line between optimal burn and over burning on my flue thermometer. It may have seen a minimum of 4 hours of 'off' time this whole winter thus far total. If I set my thermostat to 71, the house very rarely ever gets to 71. If it does, it stays there for an hour or so, then the fan starts going again.

Is there a way to increase the efficiency of the fresh air induction fan? I oil the oil holes a few times a week to make sure it's nice and slick in there, and noticed that i was blocking off some of the outlets with firebrick, which did help some, but after a few uses, it seems we're back to where we were.

My next question is on limit switches. My limit switch controls when the fan kicks on on the LP furnace to pump warm air through the house since my add on does not have its own blower. Bear with me, but I'm still horribly confused on exactly HOW these things work.

Low: 105*
Middle: 170*
High: 200-250* or whatever the highest is.

What exactly does the middle one do? I thought this was when to tell the fan to shut off, but I don't see why I'd ever want it to. I'm trying to get as much efficiency out of this thing as I can. Maybe I'm trying to squeeze blood from a turnip here, but my thoughts are, if there's heat being generated by that fire, I want as much of it pumped into my house as I can get, and could completely care less what the thermostat says. I'm used to the old school kind where I'd have to crack a window if it got too warm, and have no need for these rocket appliances. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.