from us stove to pelpro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I bought a used PelPro 130 last year..its an 2015 model...I use it to heat my shop. The ONLY thing I would like to see improved is a real thermostat...I would like to keep the shop at 50f while I'm not there... the comfort dials bottom end is 65f..so I run it on low constant...and its still a bit warmer than I would like. Otherwise I'm 100% satisfied.
It will run for about 72 hrs on 120 lbs of softwood pellets...it would go further but about 20 lbs of pellets gets hung up on the sides of the hopper and can't get to the auger...not an issue if you are there to add pellets every other day or push them down...but I load her up and head to the big city for a few days so it runs without help.

was tempted to keep with us stove but had so much trouble with my 5500m it was making me depressed.not sure if I can swap parts out if need be but find out

I bought a used PelPro 130 last year..its an 2015 model...I use it to heat my shop. The ONLY thing I would like to see improved is a real thermostat...I would like to keep the shop at 50f while I'm not there... the comfort dials bottom end is 65f..so I run it on low constant...and its still a bit warmer than I would like. Otherwise I'm 100% satisfied.
It will run for about 72 hrs on 120 lbs of softwood pellets...it would go further but about 20 lbs of pellets gets hung up on the sides of the hopper and can't get to the auger...not an issue if you are there to add pellets every other day or push them down...but I load her up and head to the big city for a few days so it runs without help.

you are right about dial control thermostat.Take some figuring.Wind pretty well out of east so few drafting problemsOtherwise this a great stove

Kind of an old Post, but just for anyone else looking. I just sold my USSC King 5502m and purchased a Pelpro PP60. The King heated like a champ for me, and I never had any issues with it for the year I had it, but there were some cons that I didn't like. First off, the way it runs! For some reason USSC thought it needed to pulse the exhaust fan during operation, which makes absolutely no sense, and all it did was caused the stove to burn dirty. I have never had my old Pelpro get so much black on the outside termination of the exhaust, or have SO much ash build up in the exhaust pipe. Now I know my 12 year old Pelpro flat top was made a lot different than the new ones, but at least I know that they don't do this. The other thing I didnt like about the King is the control board. I wanted to use it in my house, and use my old Pelpro out in the garage, as the King is a good looking stove, but the King uses a Low/High mode when using a thermostat, and in my house that is very well insulated, I need it to shut down when heat isn't called for, as even on low we were sitting at 78° in the living room with the stove and 73°-74° in the rest of the house, so just too warm! My PP60 arrives Tomorrow, and I should have it installed by the day after, so I will update on it.

Reactions: Highbeam
Kind of an old Post, but just for anyone else looking. I just sold my USSC King 5502m and purchased a Pelpro PP60. The King heated like a champ for me, and I never had any issues with it for the year I had it, but there were some cons that I didn't like. First off, the way it runs! For some reason USSC thought it needed to pulse the exhaust fan during operation, which makes absolutely no sense, and all it did was caused the stove to burn dirty. I have never had my old Pelpro get so much black on the outside termination of the exhaust, or have SO much ash build up in the exhaust pipe. Now I know my 12 year old Pelpro flat top was made a lot different than the new ones, but at least I know that they don't do this. The other thing I didnt like about the King is the control board. I wanted to use it in my house, and use my old Pelpro out in the garage, as the King is a good looking stove, but the King uses a Low/High mode when using a thermostat, and in my house that is very well insulated, I need it to shut down when heat isn't called for, as even on low we were sitting at 78° in the living room with the stove and 73°-74° in the rest of the house, so just too warm! My PP60 arrives Tomorrow, and I should have it installed by the day after, so I will update on it.
The pulsing of the stove is absolutely normal and a benefit. It only does it until the stove reaches a certain temp. You are looking at efficiency compared to just blowing the hot air out before it needs to ramp up. Also if you were getting a dirty burn that is a lack of air. Now I will say that you can only adjust so much and a stove that size is not going to burn real clean on the lowest setting, so sizing the stove to fit the area being heated is also an issue.

Yes, the stove doesn't turn on and off, all you can set the t-stat for is low and high, but at least you aren't replacing ignitors twice a year like I see others complaining about.

What it comes down to is that each stove has its ups and downs. Each needs to be learned how to adjust for what you want it to do.

Reactions: Ssyko