Front clearance for wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwent

Hearth Supporter
Sep 20, 2010
Atlanta
Hey Guys,

New member here. Was poking around looking for an answer to a question I had, but didn't see it listed. Basically, I'm in the process of deciding on a wood burning insert for an existing masonry fireplace in a home built in 1930s. The structure was inspected and it's fine, so I was planning on attaching the 6" insulated flex liner direct to the insert and through the existing flue for venting (that's the best way to do it correct?). The side and top clearances are well within code. The problem is the front clearance to the wood floors is a little short. It will sit on the floor, so I need a minimum of 16" based on the models I am looking at. But, from the opening, it's a scant 15 inches (ceramic over concrete). Is this a huge deal? What are the solution alternatives? I don't necessarily want to pull the floor and lay additional backer-board and new tile for a 1 inch difference. Thanks for your help

16 inches (US) from the opening door is required to meet code IF you're having the installation inspected.
There are a number of pre-manufactured hearth extensions available to you if you are worried that you'll
get red-tagged by a building inspector. The least expensive are Micore wrapped in aluminum sheets & sell
for about $75 - $80. The more elaborate tile-on hardeebacker-on particle board-grouted & wood-trimmed
sell anywhere from $150 - $200 or more.
Another option is to tear up your floor, like you said.
The final option is to forgo the inspection & live with the "little bit short."
Your call

DAKSY said:
16 inches (US) from the opening door is required to meet code IF you're having the installation inspected.
There are a number of pre-manufactured hearth extensions available to you if you are worried that you'll
get red-tagged by a building inspector. The least expensive are Micore wrapped in aluminum sheets & sell
for about $75 - $80. The more elaborate tile-on hardeebacker-on particle board-grouted & wood-trimmed
sell anywhere from $150 - $200 or more.
Another option is to tear up your floor, like you said.
The final option is to forgo the inspection & live with the "little bit short."
Your call

So what you're saying is the inch difference isn't going to be unsafe necessarily, just not to code. I remeasured and it's really going to be 15 1/2. So I feel pretty comfortable keeping the current length and putting a hearth rug over it when burning possibly. That should be sufficient right?

Status
Not open for further replies.