Q&A front door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I own a Vermont castings resolute acclaim stove. recently i put on a new front gasket and adjusted the front door handle following the instructions supplied with the kit. my problem is it is still not properly sealed. I checked seal with dollar bill and a lighted match and have draft. all washers are on handle latch. should gasket be shimmed? if so with what? thinner rope ? please help.

Answer:

I'm not sure that all the tests are so accurate. If the stove still works well, and if you are able to easily turn it up and down, then it may be OK anyway. Check to see if any chunks of gasket cement may be holding it out in certain areas. Maybe the latch can be adjusted even tighter. Also, you may be able to install the gasket and either stretch it ..or bunch it together in certain places along the groove in order for the door to fit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.