Frustrating Tree Identification

SpaceBus Posted By SpaceBus, Sep 8, 2019 at 8:19 AM

Dismiss Notice
System Upgrade. Monday 9/16 7am central time.Thanks for your patience.
  1. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    There's a weird tree/shrub behind my house that has eluded identification. It looks like a mountain ash crossed with a pin cherry. Smooth bark, non serrated leaves, but berries that resemble tiny cherries. The berry flesh is white, extremely bitter, and contains four pale seeds. There is a mountain ash right next to it, which I assumed they were the same until they started fruiting.

Any ideas? I've chekcked all my field guides, online resources, etc with no luck. Even locals think we are making it up. I'm going to try on the Arborist forums as well.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. festerw

festerw
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 16, 2009
    Loc:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
  3. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I was going to say serviceberry, but the bitter fruit doesn't match. Does this bush change color in autumn and lose its leaves? Did you notice what its flower is like in spring?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I tried plant snap, but need a better picture to capture off the computer screen. A close up of just one leaf cluster with berries might work.

Maybe a winterberry?

5. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    I want to say the flowers were small and white, but I also just assumed it was a cherry tree of some sort. If it does change colors, it will be soon. We moved in right after the leaves fell, only a few Tamaracks had needles.

6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Might be a form of winterberry. It grows wild in Maine.

7. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    Plantsnap gave me an orchid or crab apple tree...

Attached Files:

8. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  9. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    I don't think it's winterberry. This shrub has berries on stems, but otherwise the berries do look like Holly berries. The leaves are not pointed or sharp.

Attached Files:

10. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    I'm thinking about paying for plantsnap just to send the photo to a botanist!

11. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    SpaceBus likes this.