Furnace newbie needs help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelhambrewer

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2008
Southern NH
Hi gang. I am a very frustrated user of a Magnum 6500 pellet furnace. Since the recent string of cold weather in NH i can’t get the house temperature above 64 degs in the house. I did have the unit connected to a thermostat but i disconnected it, put the jumper back on the circuit board and tried to run the unit manually. I have been running the unit in the highest setting, going thru 3-4 bags a day and the temp of the house is 64 degs when i wake up in the morning.
I am new at using this type of heating but i have to assume that i should be getting a house temp of more then 63-64 degs? My house is not very large, around 2000 sq ft., i would think the unit should be adequate provide sufficient heat.
the basement where the unit is located gets warm to mid 70’s. There is little air flow coming out of the registers (particularly as compared to air flow when running my oil furnace).

My dealer, is new at selling furnace units and unfortunatley can offer little help. Trying to get a hold of the tech help at Amercian Energy is all but impossible.

I am not sure what other information i can offer in to the forum members to help diagnose the problem. Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks in advance
Shawn

A couple of pieces of information would be helpful. First, what's the rated BTU output of the furnace? Secondly, what's your house's heatloss? You can download a free heat loss calculator from http://www.heatinghelp.com.

What kind of damper do you have on your chimney, if any? Do you know what your stack temps are at the firebox outlet? It could be that most of your heat is going up the stack.

You might try posting the same question over in the Pellet Forum. Maybe somebody there has more experience than we do. Somebody may even have the same furnace.

Status
Not open for further replies.