Gadgets & Gizmos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silvertwins

Feb 28, 2014
Thumb of Michigan
What are some essential gadgets that I should buy for my new Blaze King King Ultra being installed tomorrow? Based on what I've read on this forum so far, it looks like I need a moisture meter for the split wood, some type of device that can check the surface temperature of the stove ...? What are the brands and products I should be buying?

Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

Looking at my stove that is what I have:

Welding gloves, coal rake, ash shovel, 1 or better 2 stainless steel pails with tight lids for the ashes, one or two 1-inch brushes for the cat and to clean the nooks and crannies of the stove, firestarters (e. g. Supercedars) or lots of paper and kindling, a box or log holder for the wood next to the stove, a wood carrying bag, stovetop thermometer (Condar is well-liked here) or IR thermometer (can then also be used around the house), smoke and CO detector in the stove room (not too close to the stove), fire extinguisher in an accessible place, brush with poles or Sooteater to clean the chimney

For the wood: moisture meter, chainsaw(s), helmet with ear and eye protection, chaps, boots with steel toes, chain sharpener, axe/maul and hatchet, small hacksaw, branchcutter, cheap working gloves (need to be replaced frequently), pallets or lumber to raise the wood stacks from the ground, top cover like old metal roofing or tarps, woodshed, wagon or solid wheelbarrow, splitter, solar kiln, this one ;lol:
f03bc49f03625c423d5d48cff5407fb5.35c2329eb18435e63b300a91d9d1a876.jpg

Did I mention woodburning is addictive? ;)

P.S. Don't forget to make hearth.com your homepage! >>

I really like the Auberins digital probe with alarm. You can buy the surface sensor to go on top of your stove or the probe to go in the chimney pipe/flue. The advantage of the flue probe is that I know exactly what the temps are and if I forget to lower the primary, the alarm alerts me. I can also read it from my chair, so I know when to load the stove. I use the probe plus a $10. surface thermometer and love the combo. You still need a thermometer to tell you the temp of the stove top.

BTW, BKK is one of the top 3 on my list for this year.

Reactions: Bluezx636
Looking at my stove that is what I have:.....
Welding gloves, coal rake, ash shovel,.....
>>
But, you forgot the MOST important item needed for wood burning......

Matches.;lol

Reactions: Grisu
Matches? What newfangled things are those? I just rub two sticks together. ;lol

Thank you for the great suggestions. Grisu, it looks like I need to take out a loan just for the extras on this wood stove;) Is there a particular site that many of you go to to get the moisture meter and Auberin gauge?

Not to hijack but I got a question for you Doug is it possible to get the unit with two probes? I am thinking the same unit would monitor both flue and stove top?

Dunno. Call them and ask. I think it would work but you would only see one temp at a time. I know there was someone on here with 3 units set up. I think it was one on stove top, one in flue a foot up chimney and one in flue 5 ' up chimney. Can't recall what thread that was off hand but within the last week.

There was a discussion a few months back that the probe was supposed to be for single wall but there is no reason it could not work on single or double wall since the probe is long enough. The probe comes with a small metal flange and you can secure the probe onto the chimney and unscrew it for easy chimney cleaning. I think it was a 1/8" hole and fit so snug that I didn't use the screws.

Why I'm such a believer is that it changed my wood burning habits A LOT. I could not live without it now. Wish I could hook it up to a phone app so I will know what's going on when out of the house. My stove is cast iron, so the surface temp tells me what the inside was doing 10 mins (or more) earlier. A few people on here with these (or similar makes) have posted about hitting temps that are downright scary and dangerous. My feeling is that almost all stoves have that happen and only people with probes know about it. We have absolutely forgotten about a new load when interrupted by the phone or something and the alarm alerts us real fast.

Good propane torch, great for lighting the stove and preheating flue if needed. Matches are so yesterday.

Small vacuum cleaner to keep by the stove, I got a freebie I use to keep the hearth clean.

Doug is it possible to get the unit with two probes?
There are some two channel temperature controllers but they are expensive. If you want to monitor both flue and stove top at the same time you would probably need to buy two units. That"s what I have.
torch.jpg temp alamr1.JPG

Thank you guys. It's going to be my thing to do when the heating season is over. I have a flushed insert so I am using IR and I look what is going on inside the fire box.

Status
Not open for further replies.