Garage Flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David48

Hearth Supporter
Oct 10, 2010
Southern Ohio
Hello all,

I am installing a pellet stove kitty corner in our living room. One back wall is the kitchen, the other is the garage. We are not crazy about seeing the pipe going through the ceiling in the living room...even if it is black.

Would there be any problem with punching through into the garage using a thru-wall thimble, then install the tee in the garage and go up through ceiling and roof?

I would be using 4" pipe for good draw.

Thank for your input,
David

David48 said:
Hello all,

I am installing a pellet stove kitty corner in our living room. One back wall is the kitchen, the other is the garage. We are not crazy about seeing the pipe going through the ceiling in the living room...even if it is black.

Would there be any problem with punching through into the garage using a thru-wall thimble, then install the tee in the garage and go up through ceiling and roof?

I would be using 4" pipe for good draw.

Thank for your input,
David

Check your installation manual and talk to the code enforcement folks.

Garages and solid fuel fired devices are a big no no. Running a vent from such a device through one is also likely to be as well.

Thanks for your response...that's kinda what I was afraid of.

Probably not worth risking cause if something did happen it would give the insurance folks a big excuse.

Thanks...David

That is not nessaraly true i ran my exhaust pipe into the garage then straight up trough the roof i did this after i checked with the pipe and stove manufacture who said that it is exceptable as long as you follow the install instructions and maintain all clearenses just make sure to seal all your pipe connections

I second what panhandler says NO OPEN FLAME, DURA-VENT DOUBLE WALL INSULATED PIPE you can put your hand on it and keep it there, just follow the pipe manufactures installation instructions. if you need pics just pm me and i will send pics of my install

here is the install i did

Attachments

• IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 336
mike56 said:
That is not nessaraly true i ran my exhaust pipe into the garage then straight up trough the roof i did this after i checked with the pipe and stove manufacture who said that it is exceptable as long as you follow the install instructions and maintain all clearenses just make sure to seal all your pipe connections

Which is precisely why I said check with the installation manual and code enforcement.

My install is exactly what you propose. A professional Harman dealer did it though so I assume he knew the code. Pipe is hot to the touch for several feet. I live in a rural township with pretty lax building code enforcement-based on what I've seen. Dealer used pellet vent pro with thimbles. Wouldn't take but a half day to reroute if necessary. Kinda gives the appearance from the outside that the STOVE is in the garage though-which it isn't.

I dont see why you couldnt do it that way, however personally I wouldnt do it in my garage because I keep gasoline, and other combustable things on my shelves. My garage has a ridge vent all across the top to all air flow which Im glad I have because of any fumes etc.

I actually like to see a vent that goes up through the ceiling I think it adds a touch of class to the stoves, sort of like back in the old days. But if your code says you can, and you feel its how you like to go, then by all means go for it .

One other garage option would be to run the pipe and then box it in so there is a buffer between it and the actual garage area. You would still need an access panel that could be removed for cleaning. This should allow for it to pass code. I would try to get an OK and leave it bare so you get some residual heat in the garage. If at a later date if you sell the home and an inspector has an issue I would just box it in like I said first. I don't see an issue either way. I would keep the cleaners solvents and fuel a little ways away though. I know of regular stoves that have the pipe boxed in up through the garage with the fire rated sheetrock and there were no issues with codes or the inspector which is a lot more heat I think.

Check on it... it would not cost a fortune to box the pipe in either.

Status
Not open for further replies.