Gas boiler switch won't turn for relight. Need help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
IMG_20201218_105507615.jpg

I may have made an amateur mistake about a month ago. I shut the gas line off to the boiler when doing some other work, but didn't shut the switch to the off position on the boiler. I figured I'd just turn ithe gas back on when it got cold.

Well, the cold is here. I tried to turn the boiler switch to the off position, and then relight the pilot. The switch won't budge from the on position. I've tried depressing the switch, no dice. I turned the gas back on from the line valve, left it for a couple of minutes, then tried again. Still no dice.

I'm in big trouble if I don't get the boiler going again. Any tips would be helpful before I resort to spending the big bucks on a plumber. IMG_20201218_105522734.jpg IMG_20201218_111744.jpg

Update- I was able to get the switch turned from on to pilot. So I depressed the switch for a minute per the instructions (after turning on gas main), and nothing. Still won't turn to the off position.