Gas fireplace turned off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deca11

Dec 2, 2023
Oregon
No idea on the model(Hearth and Home). Fireplace was on and then it wasn't, so did some troubleshooting.

--Swapped out wall switch. Nothing still. This is the set up where I flip the ignite wall switch and have to flip the fan switch which puts power to the junction box.

--replaced the green IPI module. Nothing

--junction box was reading no power at the "transform" plug, which is where the module plugs into, replaced the junction box. Nothing.

Here is where I may be missing something...there is a blue wire that is plugged into junction box on the "hot" side at the fan plug....but it's not plugged into anything else. I can see 2 prongs on the underside of the fireplace.....no idea if this is where it came from? I can't find anything in the wiring diagrams that shows what it is. See pics.....

72324331356__7E21EE0A-1982-4AE9-A4E9-C0868BA94EEE.jpeg IMG_8252.jpeg IMG_8249.jpeg IMG_8250.jpeg

Where the two male spade terminals are, look like a thermodisk. The blue wire should run from the junction box to one spade on the thermodisk. There should’ve been a wire from the other spade to the blower, & a wire from the blower to a rheostat. The other wire from the rheostat should go back to the junction box. None of those wires should have anything to do with the function of the fireplace. Can you post a pic of the pilot assembly? Can you get a better shot of the rating plate sticker. The model number is on it.

Thanks for the help! Weird... No other wires anywhere that would plug in, that is it. Has been operating fine for 17 years.

IMG_8255.jpeg IMG_8254.jpeg IMG_8257.jpeg

The wall switch that powers the junction box needs to be left on, or turned on first before turning on the low voltage switch.
The first two plugs on the power strip are hot when the switch is on but the "Fan" plug only gets power when the two spade connectors below the plug are jumped(wired with the thermo disk as Daksy mentioned).

Reactions: Deca11
Thanks on the model, found a manual. As far as the thermodisk, should I try and remedy this since it doesn't appear to be the issue? I've always had to switch the igniter first, then the fan switch....the opposite would not light it. I'm hoping just ordering the new igniter might solve the issue since i've replaced the wall switch, junction box and the module already. Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks on the model, found a manual. As far as the thermodisk, should I try and remedy this since it doesn't appear to be the issue? I've always had to switch the igniter first, then the fan switch....the opposite would not light it. I'm hoping just ordering the new igniter might solve the issue since i've replaced the wall switch, junction box and the module already. Anything else I should be looking at?
I think that you may be misunderstanding the function of the wall switches.
If you have two wall switches and one of them delivers 120 volts to the power strip under the fireplace, then that switch needs to be either left on all the time(the manufacturer specifies a constant "Hot" feed to the power strip, not a switch), or turned on first when you use the fireplace.
The 3v transformer plug supplies the ignition module with power when the other wall switch is turned on.

Have you verified that voltage is present at the Transformer plug on the power strip?

Reactions: DAKSY