Gas heating stove - will light manually, but not with thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mark Sheeler

Oct 9, 2021
Colorado
I have a gas heating stove that uses a wall thermostat. The stove will not light with the thermostat, but I can push the manual button and it will light. The wires are fine and I put in a new thermostat but it still does not work. I took the thermostat cover off and crossed the two wires, it still will not light. Why will it light when I push the manual button (that the thermostat is wired to) but not from the thermostat? New batteries, new thermostat - no luck.

I have a gas heating stove that uses a wall thermostat. The stove will not light with the thermostat, but I can push the manual button and it will light. The wires are fine and I put in a new thermostat but it still does not work. I took the thermostat cover off and crossed the two wires, it still will not light. Why will it light when I push the manual button (that the thermostat is wired to) but not from the thermostat? New batteries, new thermostat - no luck.
check the connections of the t-stat wires where they connect to the gas valve. If it won't start when you touch the two t-stat wires together, that indicates that there is a problem with either the wire or the connection at the valve. You may also have reduced thermopile output. There may be enough voltage to work with the short run on the manual switch, but not enough for the longer t-stat run.