Gas Insert and Field Stone Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fireguy10

Mar 19, 2022
Wisconsin
Hello all,

So I am looking for some creative solutions. I have a fieldstone fireplace and I want to put a gas insert in; the problem is we've been told by multiple companies that we can't put a gas insert in due to the uneven stone around the sides of the firebox. I had a couple masons out to look at it and tried to see if they had any creative ideas. The best I got was to rip it all out and start over; without going into too much detail, that is not the route we want to go.

I had a thought the other day. What about just encasing the entire stone with a fire resistant backerboard? Would it be possible to float parts of the stone with thin set and then attach backerboard to the entire thing; including creating a new frame around the firebox? Then they could install the insert and finish it with tile around the insert and the rest of the fireplace with shiplap or some other wood option?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to find any other forums or ideas similar to ours.

IMG_7814.JPG
IMG_7815.JPG

From my experience with this type of issue, you have at LEAST 2 options:

1) Get a mason in there with a "Mortar Form" & make the entire opening a
little smaller. He's have to set the form just behind the stones & at the
narrowest & lowest points of stone protrusion. Then fill any gap between
the form & the existing refractory with a mortar mix.

2) Install an insert with a custom surround that that has the profile of the
stone protrusions cut out of it... A template made of cardboard will have
to be placed into the opening & the profile would have to be traced onto
the template. The template would have to be cut along the traced lines,
& the pattern would have to be transferred to the surround & cut out with
snips or a metal cutting saw.

The first option would probably look better aesthetically...

Hello all,

So I am looking for some creative solutions. I have a fieldstone fireplace and I want to put a gas insert in; the problem is we've been told by multiple companies that we can't put a gas insert in due to the uneven stone around the sides of the firebox. I had a couple masons out to look at it and tried to see if they had any creative ideas. The best I got was to rip it all out and start over; without going into too much detail, that is not the route we want to go.

I had a thought the other day. What about just encasing the entire stone with a fire resistant backerboard? Would it be possible to float parts of the stone with thin set and then attach backerboard to the entire thing; including creating a new frame around the firebox? Then they could install the insert and finish it with tile around the insert and the rest of the fireplace with shiplap or some other wood option?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to find any other forums or ideas similar to ours.

View attachment 293732View attachment 293733
That is a beautiful fireplace you have there!

if it was mine, I would put some painted, probably 3 in, angle iron against the brick, just behind the stone. That should bring it out past the stones far enough, that you can get a custom backer plate that will fit right in between the stones.

Hey there,

I'm thinking if you could get a panel that could be cut to fit those rocks and go about doing an inside fit panel? I've seen it done before here in the PNW so I'm not sure bout metal fabricators near you but it seems a custom panel would be the easiest solution for you!