Gas insert conversion issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deang423

Feb 16, 2020
Dallas NC
Hey, I just bought a desatech vsgf28nta set up for natural gas. I assumed you could convert to propane since I don’t have nat gas at my house. After looking at their website I learned there’s no conversion for this model. Anyone have an idea of what I can do as far as maybe getting a new burner set for it or other ideas? Thank you.

You will have to contact a local hearthshop that handles Desa Ventless units
& see if they offer an LP gas valve for this unit. You will also need a new pilot assembly,
a new LP burner orifice & maybe a new burner.
In the long run, you should probably just by another unit set up for LP.
The cost might be a wash.

Vent Free appliances are never intended to be field convertible. They are sold as fuel specific. Yeah there's not certified but still doable, but why take a chance on a product that uses your house as a chimney and isn't certified to be converted (insurance would not want to know you if something went. I would look at returning if, if that is an option, or sell it back into the great Craig's list economy in order for it to be used by an end user that has NG.

Reactions: DAKSY