gas stove on zc hearth, or log set?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
I have been debating for years how to make my 30 year old ZC Majestic fireplace be a source of supplemental heat. The unit is fairly small with with an RO of 22.5 x32 with brick facing and a 2 inch thick cement/brick hearth. The chimney is triple wall metal. I wrote Majestic about my idea of having an insert. They responded by saying NO insert for this unit. Bummer! So I am toying with gas logs, Vs a free standing gas vent-less stove that will sit in front of the fireplace on the hearth. the hearth is raised up about a foot from the carpeted floor. Years ago, I had a small wood\coal stove sitting on that hearth which I had installed. It ran with no KNOWN problems. I took it out following the installation of our furnace. Now, in my senior years, I wouldn’t dare do that again for fear if I did have a fire, my insurance co. might not back me up!
We are looking to have a unit we can heat with a few hours in the evening, and to have in case of power outages. We had the experience of heating with a Kerosene heater for a week following an ice storm. We have little hope of being able to deal with that situation again. Most of the time, we now heat our home with a pellet stove in the lower level of our raised ranch. Sitting in the fireplace is one of those electric units that has a false flame reflected off from some mirror glass. It also has a heater built in if we want. If I had a wall available for a through the wall units, I would do that, but there is no other wall space available unless I rip out the ZC fireplace. That seems just too much for us to take on. I am will to spend up to $2000. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.