Gasket Leak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WireNut

May 30, 2013
Kingston, NY
So, I'm in the process of putting in my wood boiler. I have my radiators drained and made sure to keep water in the oil boiler and in the pipes above it. I check it every day to make sure the boiler is still full. My oil boiler also does my hot water heat.

Lo and behold, this morning I was about to get in the shower, and I noticed my water was freezing cold. So I headed down to the basement and noticed the furnace was running. I opened the fill to the furnace to make sure there was enough water, and there wasn't....all of a sudden I heard a hissing. It looks like a bad gasket around the domestic hot water coil (see picture, the wet spot is where the water is boiling away) is causing the water to drop below the DHW coil, and thus not heat the water...plus it drains out my boiler.

Is it possible to replace this gasket? Does anyone know where I would find a part like this? I at least have to take it apart and see if there's any damage inside the boiler, and if so, I may end up getting the oil add-on for my wood-gun since I've read lots of troubles people have had with my model furnace (Burnham PV73WT-TBWF). The wet spot on the boiler is the location of the leak.

IMG_20130822_085214.jpgIMG_20130822_085125.jpg

Nevermind, got ahold of a repair manual and now I just have to find a local supply house with the gasket since a 'net search appears to turn up nothing.

Nevermind, got ahold of a repair manual and now I just have to find a local supply house with the gasket since a 'net search appears to turn up nothing.
The next hurdle is getting it off and then being frightened from what the coil looks like after swimming in there for so many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.