gasket replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magsf11

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2009
buffalo ny
how hard or easy is it to replace the gasket on the front door? mine just went were the to end meet, and some time the stove picks up a vac leak. glad it happened now and not when it was -3 out.

I haven't replaced one on a St. Croix, but have on several other brands and they all work the same. HD and Lowe's had 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8 kits in stock earlier in the season that came with the adhesive. You just purchase the correct size gasket and some gasket adhesive, remove the old gasket and glue, read the directions on the new glue, install new gasket and cut to length. Try to put the seam back in the same spot as it was with the old gasket. It's a pretty simple process overall.

Hope this helps.

One thing to pay attention to: when you put the gasket into the adhesive, don't pull/stretch the gasket. If you have enough length to do it ( do a test fit before you use the silicone), when you place the gasket into the silicone, actually push it together a little (compress). And when you get to the ends, make sure to put a little blob of silicone on each end and push them together....this keeps the gasket ends from fraying, and makes a nice smooth joint.

I just did this on my Astoria, and it came out great.

macman said:
One thing to pay attention to: when you put the gasket into the adhesive, don't pull/stretch the gasket. If you have enough length to do it ( do a test fit before you use the silicone), when you place the gasket into the silicone, actually push it together a little (compress). And when you get to the ends, make sure to put a little blob of silicone on each end and push them together....this keeps the gasket ends from fraying, and makes a nice smooth joint.

Good catch on the details macman. It's always in the details isn't it!

rap69ri said:
macman said:

Good catch on the details macman. It's always in the details isn't it!

As Ed Norton on the HoneyMooners said to Ralph "It's the small details Ralph...the small details" :lol:

thanks guys. dont want to pay the stove guys $90+ to do something as little as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.