gen z

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
1698839482295.png

• Haha
Reactions: joop
It depends on what you consider life skills. There are people from every generation that don’t want to learn “life skills”, because it’s either too much work, or they can pay someone else to do it. Then again, more and more people are seemingly paying people to do basic things now a days instead of doing it themselves. Such as cutting the grass.

This had to be the same question asked in 1920.

A lot of this is because their parents never taught them basic life skills. Next time you fix a toilet, replace an outlet, or clean out a trap, be sure you have the kids there for a how-to lesson.

This had to be the same question asked in 1920.
James Madison said much the same thing in a letter to Thomas Jefferson in the 1780s. I don't have an actual reference, but I vaguely remember that Marcus Aurelius said something similar. Socrates asked a similar question.

just never seem to want to learn life skills
Simple: they haven't needed to.

It's not all of gen Z. The gen z you are seeing are the ones whose parents provided every single thing they could possibly need well into adulthood. When you get every meal served to you, why would you need to learn to cook? Besides the stove is dangerous so you shouldn't touch it. When you can find all the answers to your exam questions online, why study? Why learn to fix a car when you can just get your rich dad to buy you a new one.
These people exist in every generation. But they have higher visibility due to the internet, and I do think there are more of them because they grew up in an era when parents were really under pressure to focus on maximizing their children's happiness and even prioritize that over their basic needs.

The thing is every generation is going to be better at different things. I can guarantee most of gen z can make most older people look.like idiots when it comes to tech stuff. And yes that is needed in most filds now.

Of course there are some that are worthless. But that is true of every generation. My generation gen x was going to be the downfall of civilization when we were teens and 20s. Now it's moved on to gen z or millennial. Nothing new

As a younger millennial, I definitely can relate to the whole my generation is going to ruin the country type of rhetoric.

Like I said earlier, it all depends on what you, or what your generation considered life skills. Like starting fires for warmth and cooking would’ve been considered a life skill necessary a few generations ago. Now most people wouldn’t even consider that a necessary skill at all.

Reactions: bholler
It's not all of gen Z. The gen z you are seeing are the ones whose parents provided every single thing they could possibly need well into adulthood
Sometimes it's just in their genes. Both of my gen z kids are good cooks in spite of not learning much at home. Their mom was too controlling in the kitchen for them to cook much at home. Now they are pretty adventurous. What they did learn was how good the food all around the world can taste. Now they try to recreate these tastes at their homes.

Reactions: weee123 and bholler
Probably every generation, at some point, has been pointed to by earlier generations who said they were stupid/lazy/useless etc.

Then there are some in the newer generations looking back and saying the older generations are useless/stupid/can't learn etc.

Sure, some individuals are at least one of those, but that doesn't make it true for the entire generation - or even the majority. Life skills are different for different situations too. No one can be good at everything, that is why God created people who specialize in different fields - regardless if that specialty is mechanic, farmer, electrician, heart surgeon etc.

Reactions: bholler and joop
I had to lookup gen z;em
I have worked around and with people who were mostly a generation or to older then me and more relate to them better then my own.

I was going to write that whatever is wrong with generation (your favorite letter here), blame their parents.

But then I looked here to educate myself with this lifeskill of generalizing generational attributes (!),
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X (in particular the figure on the right),
and I see that Gen Z (my kids) is brought up by mostly Gen X (me).

So let's not generalize by blaming the older people who brought up the younger people they are complaining about ...
.... as it would not make me look good.

Somewhat tongue in cheek, the above, but there is also a kernel of truth in these views...

Reactions: bholler
I am so grateful that I didn’t have to grow up facing the kinds of social pressures and vulnerabilities that come with this internet age.