General Fireplace Xtrordinair Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CTjb

Aug 16, 2022
Northwest CT
Hello All,

We have two Fireplace Xtrordinair Elite 44’s in my home, these units were existing when we purchased the house about four years ago now. The home was built in 2005, so both units are 22 years old. The stove in my main living room gets a ton of use during the winter months I have been burning about 3 cords during the winter. I have noticed that the blower performance doesn’t seem to be as strong as it was when first bought the home. I will be replacing the catalytic combustor this season and wanted to ask if a blower motor should also be inspected to see if it needs to be replaced.

another question is how long should these units last ? 25 years , 30 years? Will we need to plan for them to be replaced in the in near future?

Also in northwest Connecticut, I have not had great luck with service technicians, Do any other members have any recommendations?

The blower vanes probably need a good cleaning. Lint, dust, hairs, etc. get packed on the vanes over time. If possible, this is also a good time to oil the motor. FPX is a good quality unit. Lifespan will be determined by care (not overheating), amount of usage, and maintenance. If the fireplace was only used on weekends and special occasions it could last many years.

Hello fellow Xtrordinair owner!
Have you ever opened the air intake to check the filter? They get DIRTY! Turn off the power, take the blower out, take it outside and use a leaf blower to clean it out. Wear eye goggles it gets messy.

PS: if the damper ever breaks, I wrote a thread on how to fix it. I just did it to mine and it works like a charm: