General Garn Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrobertson

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2007
West Michigan
There was a post on the differences between the Garn and Downdraft gasifiers earlier and it got me really thinking about the differences. I have a EKO so I understand this burning style and I understand the Seton style boilers and the cleaning these need done to them. My question is with the Garn... when a load of wood is done burning and the wood is gone, what is left in the burning chamber? How much ash is left and how much ends up going through the piping. I understand that the exhaust is quite strong so does it pull allot of fly ash through the boiler and if it does, does it blow most of the ash out the horizontal chimney. With all the passes through the boiler how does one clean the flue out or is it self-cleaning due to the volume of air passing through it? One of these days I need to go see one burning.

Good question! I would be interested in the answer as well.

I don't have mine running yet, but it's my understanding that removal of the two clean-out covers in the lower front, the unbolting and pulling out of the blower assembly (also in front) and the removal of exhaust and intake pipes from the back; will gain you access to all five passes of the heat exchanger/air intake tubes. Guess you just rod them out with a round brush....................

Very little if any ash actually gets pulled through the heat exchanger. The combustion is very clean, and the amount of ash left after a burn is small. The ash does build up in the primary fire box, and is easily removed by shovel through the loading door. I usually only remove ash once every 2 weeks or so. I get about a 5 gallon spackle bucket full per cleaning. It is a 5 minute job.

I did pull all the access covers and blower motor at the end of the season to clean out the exchanger tubes. No need - they were clean as a whistle, with only a nail or two sitting near the last turn.

I did pull all the access covers and blower motor at the end of the season to clean out the exchanger tubes. No need - they were clean as a whistle, with only a nail or two sitting near the last turn.

If the draft fan blows nails most of the way through the system, I guess the fly ash is just lawn fertilizer. Just aim the vent away from any of your acid loving plants!

sdrobertson said:
There was a post on the differences between the Garn and Downdraft gasifiers earlier and it got me really thinking about the differences. I have a EKO so I understand this burning style and I understand the Seton style boilers and the cleaning these need done to them. My question is with the Garn... when a load of wood is done burning and the wood is gone, what is left in the burning chamber? How much ash is left and how much ends up going through the piping. I understand that the exhaust is quite strong so does it pull allot of fly ash through the boiler and if it does, does it blow most of the ash out the horizontal chimney. With all the passes through the boiler how does one clean the flue out or is it self-cleaning due to the volume of air passing through it? One of these days I need to go see one burning.

Shannon, consider this an open invitation to take a drive up here any time. I'll give you the nickel tour for free. Bring that squinty eyed, smilin old geezer with you and we'll hash out all things wood burning over a cup or two of coffee. :)

Don L said:
Good question! I would be interested in the answer as well.

One of my customers told me he bought a little steel 8 gallon garbage can and filled it about 3/4 of the way full 5 times this winter. Burned about 25 face cords of wood. Flues in the HX are clean and dry with no residue.

Status
Not open for further replies.