generations (a story of ESW)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoveguy2esw

Minister of Fire
Nov 14, 2006
madison hgts. va
Was the 8th of June 1993, having just left the Army and looking for a job fate found me in the parking lot of England's Stove Works. I was looking for Ron England, a man I had never met but one who my father had a lot of respect for having worked with him back in the early 70's in a paper mill nearby.
A truck pulls up and this fellow gets out heading towards the door to the office. I walk up and ask "hey man, can you tell me where I can find Ron England?" he said "Im Ron",he snorts (as he did a lot)
"who the hell are you?" I introduced myself, he says "ohh your JD's boy, come on in here." we spoke for a bit , he asked me what I knew about pellet stoves, I told him (honestly) I didn't know what a pellet stove was , but I grew up with one of his woodstoves, he said , well the less you know the better less bad habits to deal with. long story short , he hired me that day and thus began a relationship that lasted 21 years and ten days. During that time he went from being my boss, to my mentor to my friend (without having any issue at all reminding me he was still my boss)to practically family. Other than my own father who I treasure more than anyone else there has been no man who has had a greater impact on my adult life. He gave me guidance on the industry while at the same time allowed me enough autonomy to learn as I worked for him. during this time the company grew to become one of the largest manufacturers in the industry under his leadership.

Going back to the day Ron and I met I found out his father was in the hospital with cancer, Bob England died a few months after I started there. I never got to meet him though my dad knew his well also. was in retrospect a loss for me having spent so much time with Ron and his family.

Today came a far greater loss. my boss, friend, mentor , adopted "uncle" practically a hero to me, passed away. Ron lost his own battle with cancer this morning. I found out about 9 this morning via a text from Andy over at AMFM i was in my shop at the south plant fixing a stove that had a problem and was pulled from the assembly line. after reading the text message , I just stood there looking at the stove lid flipped up welding lead in my hand for a minute or two, flipped my lid back down stuck my head in the stove and realized I couldn't see what I was doing. came back out stripped my gear and stepped outside sat down in the grass and cried like a baby.

Ron England is survived by his wife Vera, his daughters Tracie and Molly, and a factory full of people who dearly loved him.

Terrible news Mike. Sorry for the loss of your friend and a man that stood tall in the industry. Him and Bob started making'em at the house in 1975 and when hundreds of stove builders fell by the wayside in 1988 with the adoption of the EPA rules, Ron took the ball and ran with it.

Give me and the Brown Haired Girl's condolences to Vera, Tracy, Molly and the whole ESW family.

RIP and thanks for the heat Ron.

That's really sad news Mike. My condolences to the family and a virtual hug for you. I'm very sorry for the loss. The Englands stand tall in the stove industry.

:(

Very sad. I never knew the man, but I know his legacy. Friends, family and the industry have all lost a good man.

Big hugs from here.

And I'm sending Dixie & Matisse Snuffles to everyone. Huge, snorty snuffles.

Ron's obit from the local paper.

Ronald Glenn England, 64, of Monroe, passed away Wednesday, June 18, 2014, at the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville, Va.

A service celebrating his life will be conducted at 2 p.m. June 26 at Thomas Road Baptist Church by Pastor Jonathan Falwell. Interment will follow in Briarwood Memorial Gardens.

The family will receive friends from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Whitten Monelison Chapel and other times at the residence.

Born in Lexington on Sept. 13, 1949, he was a son of Robert Summers England and Hazel Clark England. He was the owner of England's Stove Works, a longtime member of Thomas Road Baptist Church and proudly served his country with the U.S. Army National Guard. Ron loved his work and took an active interest in all areas of his business. He also loved to travel. He and his wife were NASCAR fans and traveled to many races. He enjoyed the outdoors while hunting, fishing and playing golf. He was a member of Winton Country Club where he had served on the board for a number of years. Ron had a big interest in history and focused on areas and projects that preserved historic places for others to learn about and enjoy.

He is survived by his wife of 43 years, Vera W. England; two daughters, Tracie Michelle England of Amherst and Molly England Massie and husband Wayne of Madison Heights; brother Robert Scott England and wife Leslie of Madison Heights; and sister Roxanne Higgins of Amherst.

Because of Ron's illness, neurosurgical education and development became a cause he wanted to support. The family requests memorial contributions be made to Madaktari Africa, P.O. Box 3440, Lynchburg VA 24503 or online at madaktari.org/donate. It is a registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving health care through advanced training and education. Operating in both Tanzania Africa and Lynchburg, Virginia, Madaktari trains medical personnel in underserved areas and teaches them how to train others, perpetuating a self-sufficiency model of improved health care.

Those wishing to send condolences online, please visitwww.whittenmonelison.com.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
thanks BB, was going to post it as well. truth is to post an obit which would truly reflect this man would have taken half the night to type up.

my glimpse above really is a microcosm. there are so many people who have their own "stories" about interaction with Ron and his family, some famous some (like me) just average joe's who he has helped in various ways along their own paths in life. the "list" is endless.

as an aside, should anyone who wishes to forward their thoughts, condolences and such please feel free to send to our contact e mail address at [email protected] I will see to it that they are forwarded to the family.

lemme give an example;

back in 2001 I got a call from a retired minister in Kansas who was gifted one of our stoves as a retirement present from his congregation. the stove had an issue which I couldn't figure out over the phone. so we set to replace the unit and did so through the store he purchased it from. the guy (a fellow named fred pinkerton who still calls me from time to time just to chat, love the guy , he's so upbeat) anyway, fred called me after picking up the new unit, having it on a trailer behind his truck on the way home he had to dodge a deer in the road the and the stove was spilled out in the road. ron told me to have him take it to the store and have it shipped back here (we covered the shipping) when the stove arrived we went and looked at it and Ron said "we cant fix this" pull the tag off and put it on a new unit go over it , make sure its perfect and ship it back" we did , and I got a call from fred who was in absolute amazement that we were able to fix it. I let him think that or a few minutes then explained what we had done. thing is he didn't have to , but he did anyway. that's Ron

Mike, My sympathies to the England family. So sorry for the loss of your friend and mentor. While he took a chance on you 21 years ago, you have proved that he had sound judgement and your time and talents have contributed to his legacy.

From the stories and obit ... sounds like the world has lost a good man ... no doubt a man who was probably humble enough to think what he did, said and acted was no big deal ... when in reality it was. :(

Sad deal Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.