Glow Boy Pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treaterb

Oct 6, 2015
Western, NY
Hi guys, I'm new to the site but this looks like the most knowledgeable group I could find ion the web. I am having issues with my stove. Its a lowboy Heater Model # 1447. It has an Acutron 2 controler and I am wondering if it is shot.
Heres the long story. My girlfriend bought a house where the stove was installed professional a year prior (3 years ago now). The lady who owned the home burned corn in the stove and we have since switched to using pellets. Last year w had some issues thru out the winter where the stove would jam up and I would have to empty the hopper and clear it out (I guess this is quite common?). Any how this year when I went to start the stove I could not get the auger to turn. The fans come on and it goes thru the start up period a matter of a few mins but the auger never dropped any pellets (this stove doesn't have an ignitor so we start manually). I did a bunch of research and I found a way to bench test the auger motor (wire it directly to the wall) and in doing so the auger motor turned fine. I then proceeded to reattach the auger moter to the auger and it turn the auger just fine. But as soon as I hook the stove up to the controller it seems to not function.

A few other things I have checked..I have removed the vacuum line and was able to blow thru it with little to no difficulty. I have completely cleaned the stove inside and out. Checked for a lid latch sensor (there isn't one)

Can you guys tell me if there is anything else I can do before biting the bullet and buying a $300.00 controller?

Check your high limit switch. Should be on the left side of the stove if I remember correctly and is the one that is mounted up highest. If that has gone bad or tripped open it will prevent the auger motor from feeding. You can do a continuity test on it and you should get no resistance. If it reads infinite or open resistance then that is your most likely culprit.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Thanks a ton. I will try that tonight when I get home.
Do I have to order the parts online or should I be able to pick them up locally? Or is there another place that you recommend buying them from?

Check your high limit switch. Should be on the left side of the stove if I remember correctly and is the one that is mounted up highest. If that has gone bad or tripped open it will prevent the auger motor from feeding. You can do a continuity test on it and you should get no resistance. If it reads infinite or open resistance then that is your most likely culprit.
SO good news is I got the stove to work. It ran perfectly all night last night. Bad news...I don't know what I did that made it run...I checked the continuity and everything worked as it should so I started a fire manually and the auger started dumping pellets and worked flawlessly. I changed the settings within the controller and changed them back again so could it have been out of sequence or something?

Bad electrical connection? For the cost of the switch, it may not hurt to buy a back up high limit switch...

Hi guys, I'm new to the site but this looks like the most knowledgeable group I could find ion the web. I am having issues with my stove. Its a lowboy Heater Model # 1447. It has an Acutron 2 controler and I am wondering if it is shot.
Heres the long story. My girlfriend bought a house where the stove was installed professional a year prior (3 years ago now). The lady who owned the home burned corn in the stove and we have since switched to using pellets. Last year w had some issues thru out the winter where the stove would jam up and I would have to empty the hopper and clear it out (I guess this is quite common?). Any how this year when I went to start the stove I could not get the auger to turn. The fans come on and it goes thru the start up period a matter of a few mins but the auger never dropped any pellets (this stove doesn't have an ignitor so we start manually). I did a bunch of research and I found a way to bench test the auger motor (wire it directly to the wall) and in doing so the auger motor turned fine. I then proceeded to reattach the auger moter to the auger and it turn the auger just fine. But as soon as I hook the stove up to the controller it seems to not function.

A few other things I have checked..I have removed the vacuum line and was able to blow thru it with little to no difficulty. I have completely cleaned the stove inside and out. Checked for a lid latch sensor (there isn't one)

Can you guys tell me if there is anything else I can do before biting the bullet and buying a $300.00 controller?

You may have toggled it onto someother mode accidently. Holding down off button cycles it through the 3 different modes of operation per the instructions. Manual, on/off mode, and hi/lo mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.