GMG pellet grill igniter testing & replacement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
These igniters are very similar to pellet stove igniters and last along time because they are not used as much.
The new Green Mountain Prime 12 VDC grill igniters are easier than ever to replace! Just remove the 2 bolts to the vent grates under the hopper and disconnect the blue & yellow wires going to the igniter. ( also can be red wires, check to be sure) Then the igniter pulls right out from the burn pot!
The older AC choice pellet grills have either a clip or set bolt to remove and then after in clipping the wires under the hopper, the igniter pulls out from under the hopper,
It is fairly obvious when the igniter dies and the pellets do not light. You can just disconnect the wires to the igniter and start the grill with a cup of pellets and a butane torch. Then press and hold the on button in until it bypasses mode zero and one. It will go right to the temperature reading and you are all set!
These new prime 12 VDC grills show that a new igniter with 12 VDC going into draw about 6.2 amps
Connecting an ohm meter across the new igniter wires measures about 1.2 ohms I have an older igniter that measures about 1.5 ohms and draws about 7 amps.
I have not seen a bad igniter yet so if anyone can test it and let me know the current draw and resistance please add it to this thread.
GMG has a new white ceramic igniter now that lasts 100k cycles but can break easier when cleaning so we must be more careful.
:)

EB1D3B66-A4C5-41BD-9F2A-0CBD3061A261.jpeg 8330F74B-AA32-47CE-940B-7A644DF25305.jpeg 50ABAC90-FDD6-4D96-B9B6-3622B648AAC3.jpeg 800E9007-386F-428A-83ED-8FE650B86ABC.jpeg B74E40D2-2D7F-4C1A-8E76-72E9DE40B45A.jpeg E0AE1CB5-C74B-4EDE-B935-0FE6D88C02E3.jpeg CC55B313-12F3-48AE-961D-FE42F3CB6453.jpeg

I just got the Daniel Boone Prime Plus last Friday. Went through 2 igniters already. 1st one didn't work last Sunday morning. Same thing this morning on the other igniter. Both are steel.

I just got the Daniel Boone Prime Plus last Friday. Went through 2 igniters already. 1st one didn't work last Sunday morning. Same thing this morning on the other igniter. Both are steel.
Did you bench test them with a 12 VDC power supply or 12 VDC battery??

I didn't try until after the second one failed and began to realize there was a problem.
What happened?
Did it get warm at all on the bench with 12 VDC?

Ok, it may help to plug the grill into a good surge protector, usually they are not needed on DC devices but really not sure in this case.
So try it if you can and let us know.

Don...

Been thinking about a pellet grill. Any recommendations as to what to get? We don't gtill all that much and I don't like propane grills at all. I'm using an ancient Brinkman with chunk charcoal right now but it takes so long to get the fire going., I'd like something a bit quicker.

We like the flavor of the meat when grilled on chunk wood charcoal, I'd like to know if a pellet grill can match that 'wood fired' flavor.

Don...

Been thinking about a pellet grill. Any recommendations as to what to get? We don't gtill all that much and I don't like propane grills at all. I'm using an ancient Brinkman with chunk charcoal right now but it takes so long to get the fire going., I'd like something a bit quicker.

We like the flavor of the meat when grilled on chunk wood charcoal, I'd like to know if a pellet grill can match that 'wood fired' flavor.
I think you would like the Smokey Wood flavor of the Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone model which they now call the Ledge Model!
See my posts with pics below :)

After grilling on chuck hardwood, I'm spoiled. I just dislike all the before grilling prep.

After grilling on chuck hardwood, I'm spoiled. I just dislike all the before grilling prep.
I have to chime in....
I'm not sure what you're wanting to spend on one? I have had a couple GMG pellet grills and they require a learning curve; as do most pellet grills. For your 1st, I would recommend a Pitt Boss or Camp Chef. Especially if you want to sear & its your only grill ; a Treager if you don't. Another thing to consider is purchasing accessories; Treager & Pitt Boss's accessories are easily available. Camp Chef has a nice ash clean-out feature. GMG has one but it's not all that great! If I had $1000k to spend, and could do it over, I would get the Weber SmokeFire ( generation 2). Weber has addressed & fixed the issues from generation 1. Weber accessories are also easily available. No matter which one you choose, if you want it to last, you will have to clean it out, often!!

One thing I do like about the Brinkman is, it's a tank. The body is actually 1/8" thick pipe along with the ends and chimney. It weighs about 250 pounds and sits outside all the time and the weather has never hurt it other than I sandblast it every few years and repaint it with HT black paint. Been through quite a few cooking racks but thats it.

Don't think any of the pellet grills are anywhere near that substantial.

Hello
The new GMG peak pellet grill is 212 lbs so it is definitely a heavy weight. Also it is used in many grill competitions. :)
I think WiFi is a must but that is just me.
Also if you want amazing pizzas in 3 mins flat then check out their pizza attachment with the pizza stone!
Also check out the rotisserie!

605D84B8-E874-4E7B-A32E-F00AD7FCD91B.png 9E4E8B75-41E5-4156-94E1-31490EF96FD4.png B4C2124A-049E-43BA-A552-18A0C060B454.png