Gonna let the fire go out this weekend.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
My 50' roll of 1" kaowool finally showed up. Gonna instal the block off plate saturday afternoon. Wish me luck. I am convinced that I will have a much more efficient stove after I do this since I currently have warmed house air shooting up the chimney around the liner.

What did that cost you? Where did you get it from?

Related thinking....Why don't more people use vermiculite to insulate liners? Seems really easy. Install liner, pour vermiculite around the outside.

Warren said:

Related thinking....Why don't more people use vermiculite to insulate liners? Seems really easy. Install liner, pour vermiculite around the outside.

Uh, because if you ever have to remove the block off plate you end up with a living room full of vermiculite?

Warren said:

I thought vermiculite is super expensive?

Vermiculite is inexpensive. It's just puffed Mica. Guys who blow glass use it during the cool down process of glass, safe manufacturers use it for fireproofing. The main problem would be where to buy the vermiculite.

wrenchmonster said:
Vermiculite is inexpensive. It's just puffed Mica. Guys who blow glass use it during the cool down process of glass, safe manufacturers use it for fireproofing. The main problem would be where to buy the vermiculite.
ANY FLOWER SHOP.

BrotherBart said:
Warren said:

Uh, because if you ever have to remove the block off plate you end up with a living room full of vermiculite?

Which could be vacuumed up with a shop vac and poured back into the chimney. Next.

Warren said:
BrotherBart said:
Warren said:

Which could be vacuumed up with a shop vac and poured back into the chimney. Next.

Yo! Craig! Tell him how much fun that was.

BrotherBart said:
Warren said:
BrotherBart said:
Warren said:

Yo! Craig! Tell him how much fun that was.

uh oh...This sound like I didn't get something here... Sounds like when a friend of mine was making beer and when transferring emptied 5 gallons of beer onto the kitchen floor. Then tried to use the shop vac to "mop" it up. The 5 gallons of beer turned into 40 gallons of foam and destroyed the shop vac in the process!

O.k. Craig...let me hear it!

DavidV said:
My 50' roll of 1" kaowool finally showed up. Gonna instal the block off plate saturday afternoon. Wish me luck. I am convinced that I will have a much more efficient stove after I do this since I currently have warmed house air shooting up the chimney around the liner.

If you have any left over, lemme know if you want to sell it. I need some.

Status
Not open for further replies.