Good morning to have a wood stove in Texas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
The grid in Texas is having one of those days where having anything but electric heat is a big plus,

1705408140492.png

I assume these numbers are $/MWh, so $2.00/kWh peak, maybe 50 cents over 24 hours?

How many homeowners have time of use (TOU) rates?

On a polar vortex day I can use 200 kWh in 24 hours. At those rates my heat for the day would be over $100.

Yes $ per MW wholesale supply rate, that does not include transmission and distribution or any surcharges. When prices get up that high it usually means that supply is short so prices go up until the price drops demand. Consumer rate plans usually have some exposure to very high power costs, those great deals that consumers signed up for usually have some fine print to transfer some or all of the pricing risk to the consumer kicks in. To date the Texas legislature always seem to bail out the big players but the consumer usually get to eat the costs.

We had a few $16 days over the weekend after running on the resistance heaters.

We had a few $16 days over the weekend after running on the resistance heaters.
My 200 kWh days (maybe every few years) would cost me $35.

Got my electric bill for “January “ today. It’s actually from Dec 10 to Jan 10. 2200kwh, down from 3300 kWh last year at the same time. Electric bill was $70 more! I’m not sure how aep is pulling it off but they are definitely monkeying around with my rates. December bill was $0.14 produced and delivered. Januarys was almost $0.20. I am definitely not on a time of use arraignment.

I just don’t understand in a deregulated market like Texas why one would choosing time of use billing. It’s not like when it’s near record setting hot or cold you can load shift. Heating and cooling will always be the biggest users. Sure I’d choose not to take a steam shower during super high peaks but. That it’s only costing me 5 kWh. One night’s defrost cycle of my heat pump will use more than that.

Maybe they can't choose? Long Island will be going to some time of use rate plan soon (high rate between 2 and 7 pm, rest low, IIRC). No choice.

Glad I'm grandfathered in for 20 years with single rate net metering due to my solar (as indeed cooling, or mini split heating will be highest during those hours).

Our electric rate here in East Texas...TVEC (Trinity Valley Electrical Cooperative) is
$20 monthly fee
.1048 kwh
Our average electric bill is $143
3000 sf house and 4300 sf shop.
Shop only has lights and a fridge.
Heat and AC for house ... one minisplit and a standard forced air system with AC and electric heat.