Good multi-fuel insert or should I say best bang for the buck.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Countryboymo

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 24, 2010
W Central MO
I have a co-worker who will be shopping for a good multi-fuel insert so he can burn his share of a 5 acre corn plot if he wants or sell the corn and buy pellets depending on corn prices. He would be tickled with an englander but I don't see any insert models.

Nope. Only the EP is available in an insert (pellet only).

If he will burn straight corn, then I would want a true multi fueler. Something with an agitator. That really shortens the list quite quickly. A couple are the Enviro M-55 Cast Insert, Magnum Countryside (3500), and US Stove or American Harvest may make one? Quads say they are Multi Fuel and can burn corn, but its a clinker building machine, much like any other stove that burns corn without a stir rod.

The Mt. Vernon will burn corn and self clean, but if he was looking for an Englander price this will be a far reach (Enviro is costly also).

There are prob a couple more I am forgetting.

What he has now which I forget the name is corn only and makes a clinker but it is starting to show its age. He was asking my opinion and I told him about the multifuel agitator units and the ability to burn pellets and sell the corn like now when corn is very high. He could sell the corn and buy pellets and have cash left over from selling the corn in the spring rather than burning the corn and have very little corn to sell.

Lots of stoves will do a 50/50 mix and do quite well. That way he uses some corn and can sell some corn to buy pellets.

My Quad likes a 50/50 mix. Leaves the inside of the stove bright white and almost no clinkage.

Many more options if he does a mix. But straight corn is limited. Unless he uses a freestanding stove on the hearth and vents it up the chimney? Many here do that also. With both wood and pellet stoves? Its a thought? Opens up many more avenues.

US Stove American Harvest 6041i can be found at Tractor Supply and Manards. Decent stove if your handy. Factory support is parts only, They'll need to install them. Not the best made units but can provide heat.

I'd recommend a dealer supported stove if they aren't mechanically inclined. Quad Mt V and Enviro M55 get my vote. Regency has the a clone of the M55 cast called the Hampton GC60i. Might be a tic cheapier than the enviro?

US Stove American Harvest 6041i can be found at Tractor Supply and Manards. Decent stove if your handy. Factory support is parts only, They'll need to install them. Not the best made units but can provide heat.

I'd recommend a dealer supported stove if they aren't mechanically inclined. Quad Mt V and Enviro M55 get my vote. Regency has the a clone of the M55 cast called the Hampton GC60i. Might be a tic cheapier than the enviro?

Good point about the support. Nailed_Nailer really likes his Enviro M55 cast multi-fueler. When running wood pellets with the pot stirer, he only needs to clean it about every 2 weeks!

I would really like to know in comparison, how good the heat output of the 10-CPM is to the 6041 when burning wood pellets. I hear the 10-CPM does not put out as much as some non multi-fuelers when burning wood pellets.

I would really like to know in comparison, how good the heat output of the 10-CPM is to the 6041 when burning wood pellets. I hear the 10-CPM does not put out as much as some non multi-fuelers when burning wood pellets.
How do the heat exchangers compare(design). just wonderin.

I think I am going to point him toward the M55 and give him the other info and let him go from there. He has two castiles to sell that have less than 10 bags through them combined I bet and that should take a chunk out of any choice he makes. Thank You guys for the input and I will let you know what he goes with.

I was told by an enviro dealer that he has a harman accentra insert that is a multi fuel unit? I didn't think so and can't find anything that says this. Opinions?

Harman may be able to burn 50/50 mix, but its not a Multi fuel stove. IMO

My P35i does a decent job with a 50/50 mix, I've only burned about 50lbs of corn because I just wanted to try it. Corn for me is way too expensive compared to quality pellets.

I have a quad insert, Sante Fe it has been trouble free for 7 years. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles on it but maybe that's a good thing,Some times the simpler the better.I did burn corn pellet mix one year and it burned good' very nice heat,some clinkers .I never had mice in my garage untill I stored the corn in there.I think if I were going to get a new insert it would be a toss up between the m55 and the Harman accentra. Good Luck
One last thing,Pellets stoves like a lot of things, you pay for what you get.
The real cheap stoves are pretty crappy looking and don't work very well
So you can pay a little more now or pay more later

Status
Not open for further replies.