Got a BBQ smoker for $20-now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Whenever my phone rings and its my dad on the other end I never know what its going to be. He's retired and is locally known as the "King of Yardsales." Anyway, he found a Brinkmann electric smoker over the weekend and asked me if I wanted it. I figured for $20 I couldn't go wrong (especially looking at the price now!) now what to do with it? I've always wanted to do some smoking but don't really know much about how to do it. I do have some apple wood that I saved and a digital probe thermometer. Anyone want to share some recipes/techniques?

Pork shoulder my favorite to do...Just put a rub on it that you like cook at 225-250 until the meats 190 internal and smoke it good in the first few hours.

best to put it on the night before it can take 12-14 hrs.

hate to say it but any thing smoked with apple wood just about makes me barf . get some manly wood like hickory

webie said:
hate to say it but any thing smoked with apple wood just about makes me barf . get some manly wood like hickory

Hehe...I was trying to go with what was free and on hand. I think I can buy hickory chips at the local ag supply though. I had applewood smoked bacon once-tasted pretty good I thought.

its to each his own if you like it use it just not my cup of tea or should I say my kinda smoke. Actually my favorite id mesquite but I do beleave its imported . but a great flavor .

Badfish740 said:
webie said:

Hehe...I was trying to go with what was free and on hand. I think I can buy hickory chips at the local ag supply though. I had applewood smoked bacon once-tasted pretty good I thought.

nothing wrong with apple in-fact apple hickory mix does great

Foe the smaller elec smokers I believe large box stores that sell smokers have different flavored wood chips just for those smokers. Such as Hickory,mesqite. I have a large smoker I made myself and I use Cherry,Apple,and Hickory in that.Have to use a good rub also or you will end up w/ a over powerin smoke flavor. Just my 2 cents..

There's so many variables that it's a little daunting. So far I've identified the following:

-Type of wood
-Using water (mine has a water pan) vs. no water vs. beer vs. apple juice, etc...
-Rubbing, marinating, injecting beforehand
-Mopping during
-How long to smoke
-Slow cooling? (packing the meat into some sort of insulated container like a cooler so it cools very slowly)

I thought of just hot-dogging it but smoking is so time and labor intensive (not to mention the good cuts of meat aint cheap) I'd hate to end up with something that tastes awful. Here's an idea I had just based on very limited knowledge of smoking, general cooking, and some blatant assumptions:

-Start with a 6lb or so brisket
-Rub/inject with homemade BBQ sauce (I have a few different sauces that I've come up with for chicken mostly)
-Wrap with cellophane and store in the fridge for a few days
-Soak mix of wood chips (maybe hickory and apple?) in apple juice/water mix - The smoker instructions say to soak the chips for best performance. I figure the sugars in the apple juice will caramelize from the heat and make some yummy smoke
-Fill water pan with beer/water mix
-Smoke for ??? hours in a tin pan so that juices are retained
-Mop periodically with the same sauce that was initially rubbed/injected
-After smoking for ??? hours wrap in foil/towels and let sit in a cooler for ??? hours.

Its a start anyway-if anyone can fill in the blanks with suggestions I'd be grateful. Then I can blame you guys if it comes out like crap ;)

Badfish740 said:
There's so many variables that it's a little daunting. So far I've identified the following:

-Type of wood
-Using water (mine has a water pan) vs. no water vs. beer vs. apple juice, etc...
-Rubbing, marinating, injecting beforehand
-Mopping during
-How long to smoke
-Slow cooling? (packing the meat into some sort of insulated container like a cooler so it cools very slowly)

I thought of just hot-dogging it but smoking is so time and labor intensive (not to mention the good cuts of meat aint cheap) I'd hate to end up with something that tastes awful. Here's an idea I had just based on very limited knowledge of smoking, general cooking, and some blatant assumptions:

-Start with a 6lb or so brisket
-Rub/inject with homemade BBQ sauce (I have a few different sauces that I've come up with for chicken mostly)
-Wrap with cellophane and store in the fridge for a few days
-Soak mix of wood chips (maybe hickory and apple?) in apple juice/water mix - The smoker instructions say to soak the chips for best performance. I figure the sugars in the apple juice will caramelize from the heat and make some yummy smoke
-Fill water pan with beer/water mix
-Smoke for ??? hours in a tin pan so that juices are retained
-Mop periodically with the same sauce that was initially rubbed/injected
-After smoking for ??? hours wrap in foil/towels and let sit in a cooler for ??? hours.

Its a start anyway-if anyone can fill in the blanks with suggestions I'd be grateful. Then I can blame you guys if it comes out like crap ;)

you got a good understanding of smokin briskets are expensive and bosten butts are cheap....briskets are the best though!

smokinjay said:
you got a good understanding of smokin briskets are expensive and bosten butts are cheap....briskets are the best though!

LOL...well at least it looks like I know what I'm doing ;) Any comment on how long to smoke and cool? I did read that if you want "pull apart brisket" you want to get up over 200 degrees F.

redhotz said:
This is a great website that I use. http://www.smoking-meat.com

I'm posting over there too but it gets pretty overwhelming. I kinda get lost among the more advanced stuff.

If you want pull-a-part meat, you need to get it to 200 degrees internal temperature. then wrap in foil for 1 hour. Cook box temperature should be around 220-235 degrees.

Badfish740 said:
smokin said:

LOL...well at least it looks like I know what I'm doing ;) Any comment on how long to smoke and cool? I did read that if you want "pull apart brisket" you want to get up over 200 degrees F.

redhotz said:
This is a great website that I use. http://www.smoking-meat.com

I'm posting over there too but it gets pretty overwhelming. I kinda get lost among the more advanced stuff.

you know enough to give it a great try and your to the point that you need the experience and that can only be done one way

smokinjay said:
you know enough to give it a great try and your to the point that you need the experience and that can only be done one way

redhotz said:
If you want pull-a-part meat, you need to get it to 200 degrees internal temperature. then wrap in foil for 1 hour. Cook box temperature should be around 220-235 degrees.

Thanks guys-any guidance on how long to smoke? Is it so much time per pound, etc...?

For a butt or shoulder, probably around 8-12 hours, depending on size. If you wrap it in foil, wrap it good and put it in a cooler with old towels wrapped around it. It will stay hot for a long time a just fall apart more. YUMMY, I think I'm going to make one this weekend.

Badfish740 said:
smokinjay said:

redhotz said:

Thanks guys-any guidance on how long to smoke? Is it so much time per pound, etc...?

I have done some that took up to 16 hrs just depends on the size your cooking and outside temps can play a big part..

Status
Not open for further replies.