Got a mama bear and need some information

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissypa

Sep 1, 2014
Penfield, PA
Hello, I got a mama bear off the classifieds in my town for $225. It is quite rusty and pitted and I plan on cleaning it up. I will need to replace most of the firebrick so I decided just to do them all and will be installing a baffle as coaly recommends. I need to know if I put durarock and then stone on my wall if I will need the 1" raised clearance space to reduce wall clearance? Also, for the hearth, If I do durarock and then tile on the floor with this be enough? I will be doing a thru the wall chimney installation because we live in a mobile home and my husband doesn't want to cut a hole in the metal roof. We have an 8 foot ceiling in our living room which is where we are installing the stove. Another question I have is should we go straight out thru the wall and up or should we go as far up as we can inside and then out and up?I have read on here to try and limit elbows. I know that thru the roof would be ideal but I cannot convince my husband to do this because he is afraid it will leak. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
Mama Bear is not a mobile home certified stove.
Goldilocks and Honey Bear Mobile Home Certified stoves have outside air intake (through the floor) and reduced clearance (shields) that are UL certified for your installation. Their instruction manuals give wall clearance and hearth pad requirements.

The inch airspace behind heat shield is required for reduced clearance. Cement board with stone, brick or tile directly mounted to wall transmits heat and is not considered a heat shield.
The 'through the roof' chimney support box doesn't leak when installed properly. Kits for Fisher were supplied by Simpson Dura-Vent.

The roof flashing is installed just like the furnace vent, plumbing vents, or other roof projections. It's much easier than a shingled roof. That type with roof support box is much cheaper than a through the wall kit. Through the wall requires you to buy chimney pipe all the way up, more frequent cleaning and an elbow to make cleaning more difficult.

The height it goes through wall must be low enough for minimum pipe clearance to ceiling - another advantage of straight up.

The mobile home stoves are top vented for straight up installation to maintain pipe clearance to rear wall as well.
Mobile installation instructions are in the manuals in the stickied section at top.

Status
Not open for further replies.