Got a Rotisserie for Smokin Chicken on the Pellet Grill and gave it a whirl !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
Many new wood pellet grills have built in capability for a rotisserie now. However they do sell universal rotisserie kits that you can lay across most any grill and even though you cannot close the grill cover all the way, they actually work quite well!
In my case I got the optional built in kit for our demo Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone Prime Plus that also fits the new Ledge and there is a larger kit that also fits the Jim Bowie Prime Plus and the new Peak grills.
This kit has been improved because it comes with 2 sets of skewers to do 2 chickens at once! I found that chickens up to approx 5 lbs work quite well. The chickens should be tied up tight with kitchen twine available at your local market. The skewers should be pressed in tight and made real tight with a final twist using pliers so the heat does not make them come loose. Now try to get them centered so the they are balanced properly. The kit also comes with a counter balance weight which in my case with the weight of 2 - 5 lbs chickens was really necessary to hang down on the opposite side of the legs to keep the motor from stalling!
The hardest part is getting them on the skewer correctly and I also cut a lime in half and stuffed it inside for some tasty added moistere.
Then after the grill startup, I set it to 335 Degs but it seems around 300 to 350 for approx 3 hours is good. The meat probe makes it come out better so I stopped and checked and went it was 165 I pulled them off. They are very hot so mits are a must unless you use the fan to cool everything down.
One Tip is to put a shallow pan to catch the drippings or use the drip bucket and then pour it back on the chicken. Also put the rub and seasonings oon the chicken after it is all tied up and mounted on the rod so the rub does not rub off in the process!
Pic 1 - RotisserieChicken1-FireUpTheGMG
Pic 2 - RotisserieChicken2-SetupTheCookProfile
Pic 3 - RotisserieChicken3-TieChicks&InsertFreshLime
Pic 4 - RotisserieChicken4-LoadChicks&SetCounterBalance
Pic 5 - RotisserieChicken5-CheckRotation
Pic 6 - RotisserieChicken6-CheckInternalTemp
Pic 7 - RotisserieChicken7-CheckInternalTemp
Pic 8 - RotisserieChicken8-AllDone
Pic 9 - RotisserieChicken9-Slice&Enjoy
If you have any more tips, let us know and Happy Grilling.
:)

Great way to tie the chicken in this vid!
Simple steps to the perfect rotisserie chicken - YouTube

RotisserieChicken1-FireUpTheGMG.jpg RotisserieChicken2-SetupTheCookProfile.jpg RotisserieChicken3-TieChicks&InsertFreshLime.jpg RotisserieChicken4-LoadChicks&SetCounterBalance.jpg RotisserieChicken5-CheckRotation.jpg RotisserieChicken6-CheckInternalTemp.jpg RotisserieChicken7-CheckInternalTemp.jpg RotisserieChicken8-AllDone.jpg RotisserieChicken9-Slice&Enjoy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: clancey
Thanks Don! Now I'm hungry! ;) Looks delicious!

Reactions: Don2222