Got cable? Check your power consumption.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that, especially with all the talk in favor of low taxes (as long as the govt services being cut don't affect me) and less regulation (so long as the reduced regulation doesn't result in me being fried), that if we want higher efficiency, the power rests in our own hands to change our own lives. No one makes us do anything - we make choices and either pay the consequences or reap the benefits.

Yes, my wife and I have become much more efficient in use of all forms of energy because it is the right thing to do. Waste not, want not. But also, we have become much more efficient because we save mucho buckos $$$ in the process, and we have a far more relaxed lifestyle which is not pressured by the monthly bills or the need to work to pay for frivolous things. Waste not, want not.

Conservation = money in our pockets to live a better life rather than working longer and harder simply to pay someone else for our own waste.

Certainly, we are not the models of hyper-efficiency or hyper-conservation, but by changing our habits regarding use of electricity, we have reduced our electricity usage by more than 25%, and we probably can do better yet. These are utility meter readings which are made on the 7th or 8th of each month:

Code:
   kwh        2007     2011
January    610      729
February   620      511 
March      689      465
April      649      434 
May        773      423
June       909      442

Total      4150    3004

We have a 1500 sq ft house + full basement which includes 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, electric clothes dryer, electric clothes washer, electric oven and cook-top, side-by-side refrigerator/freezer, upright freezer, a 5 gal dhw heater for the kitchen sink and dishwasher (other electric hot water is on a separate meter, average < 100 kwh/month), and a 42" LCD TV with full surround audio system/tuner/blue ray/satellite TV/DVR. It is the two of us, plus family guests, like the 12 family members just with us for 5 days for the 4th of July holiday.

Regarding use of electricity, this is what we have done and live not only as well as before, but also have more money to live a more full and relaxed life:

Turn completely off computers and entertainment center (except satellite TV/DVR) with power strips
Unplug device transformers when not being used
Turn off lights when not being used
Dehumidifier in basement – reduced setting without adverse effect

CFL’s and fluorescent for lighting except dimming circuits and outdoors
Dishwasher full loads only
Cold water clothes washing
No air conditioning, use ceiling fans and open windows
Outdoor lights on motion detectors (no yard security light dusk/dawn)

Status
Not open for further replies.