Got my quad castile insert burning for first time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skidozer

Mar 11, 2010
western ny
I got my quad castile insert burning for the last 2 nights I love it.

Its been a long process, Removed a MFG. fireplace.
Had water damage behind the old unit to repair.
Built a raised hearth, installed a rubber roof over the old wood framed chimmney.

I bought the stove used last spring, so last few weeks took everything apart to clean the fans,fire pot etc.

Its been alot of work but it looks nice so far and should save me some money over my propane furnace and propane logs in the old fireplace plus got rid of a potential mold problem.

All I have left is to reface the front with a dry stack stone.

It felt great to actually sit down after work last night and enjoy a fire and watch a movie.

Thanks for such a great site and all the help everyone gave me on the site.

Show us some PICS!

I will try to get some tonight.

Congrats on your install and hard work. Just the ambiance of a warm fire is worth the effort and I think you'll be very pleased with your Castile.

I got a couple quick photos last night. Not done with project but got the important part done it burns.

Attachments

• DSC02703.jpg
    DSC02703.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC02710.jpg
    DSC02710.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 370
We have a couple of "red heads" like yours, except free standing. Great stove and get some good quality, low ash pellets. You will find a couple of million opinions here on what to burn. I have Green Team for Oct-Nov and then go to the Barefoots for the big cold.
Yes, nothing like a fired stove on a cold night!

I have a Quadra Fire Castille red head as Augustine says bought 8/2006 a great stove trouble free easy maint.

I snagged a red castille last Jan for 900.00 with pipe and log kit that was still in the box. Mine is an 06 also that was purchased late in 07. Craigslist is where I found it in winter. There are deals to be had if you keep your eyes open.

I grew up on a farm in a house with a fireplace on the main floor and in the basement with a wood furnace set up right next to the propane furnace. After growing up with wood heat it is hard to go to all electric with a heat pump. The heat pump is nice efficiency wise and is comfortable but nothing matches that warm feeling from wood. I mainly purchased it as a back up for a lengthy electrical outage or the really nasty days when the strips would be running non stop. I work outside and after being cold all day it is so nice to stand in front of it.

Good job and nice find.

Wish I could got a price like that but I bought when the demand was high. I saved enough in propane to almost pay for the stove for sure end of this heating season.

wow that was a great price with the pipe.

I just happend to check craigslist one day for a different city than mine and it was listed. I bought it for $600 with the remote,it was a very young couple and they had a huge old 3 story house it just didn't fit their needs.

Knowing what I know now I would have found a way to get that stainless linner out.

The stove is a good inspiration for me to start bringing my house out of the 70's the way I bought it.
so the dark panneling is going to go, the ugly carpet that is plaid (looks like a kilt).
Going to put laminate floors in new paint and a flat screen TV.

Its long ove due but I told myself when I bought it I wasn't going into debt to do it.
In this econemy I changed my ways and only buy with cash, Im going to live like my parrents who were Depression erra kids.

skidozer said:
wow that was a great price with the pipe.

I just happend to check craigslist one day for a different city than mine and it was listed. I bought it for $600 with the remote,it was a very young couple and they had a huge old 3 story house it just didn't fit their needs.

Knowing what I know now I would have found a way to get that stainless linner out.

The stove is a good inspiration for me to start bringing my house out of the 70's the way I bought it.
so the dark panneling is going to go, the ugly carpet that is plaid (looks like a kilt).
Going to put laminate floors in new paint and a flat screen TV.

Its long ove due but I told myself when I bought it I wasn't going into debt to do it.
In this econemy I changed my ways and only buy with cash, Im going to live like my parrents who were Depression erra kids.

I did the same thing with my house, Just try and do one room at a time.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php?ACT=24&fid=22&aid=40027_kzYUJjZ7y278SomvsRgU&board_id=1

fish on yours looks great. Also like the dog,I miss my old black lab.
He made it 14 years, been thinking about getting another pretty soon.

Looks great so far SkiDozer! Can't wait for pics of the finished install.

Enjoy the heat!

Hey Skidozer, nice looking setup. Sounds like it was a lot of work, but now you can enjoy it. I hope it burns well for ya!

Thanks, I am enjoying it, takes the dampness out of the air no problem to just run it for a short time,unlike starting a fire.
It wasn't bad jut a balance of working,a part time business,redoing the fireplace and room, family.

I just wanted to get the hard part done before the weather turned, now I can do the rest as I have time and enjoy.

They say there aint no rest for the wicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.