Gränsfors Bruk-Is this satisfactory for the money?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SC3

Jan 11, 2020
USA
Hello,
New member here.

Would like others opinions on this recent purchase.
New Gränsfors Bruk Small Splitting Axe, purchased in the US from a dealer in the US.

Requested when ordered for the best of the batch, this is what I received.

Is this satisfactory these days with this company? My SFA is flawless, this however seems a bit less than what I was expecting.
Right out of the box I got a splinter via the handle and the hang looks to be done late on Friday.

If this is satisfactory in the eyes of the majority and it’s just a aesthetic flaw but is safe and perfectly functional then I will break out the sandpaper and BLO and spend a little time on it and call it a day.

If you care to share photos of what is and is not acceptable that would be outstanding.

Greatly appreciate all the feedback.

12890BD8-3C60-42C3-B924-CDABE7DFB43C.jpeg7CE6EC66-17F9-43A3-B834-2F71D9A9D368.jpegCFDA4D97-6B74-4ED3-946B-45AE0635C3D7.jpeg6CE91F01-15E5-40B8-8D37-DF088CA1DB0A.jpeg20DD15FD-7D1D-4C03-BA59-A4B0B63F77C9.png6FF8ADB6-6927-4405-87EE-E3CC75B3815F.jpeg
New

Did you get a counterfeit? I've only got 2 GB axes but both of them were immaculate.

I purchased the axe from a dealer in the US on the east coast.
The axe arrived in a unmarked box, not the Gränsfors Bruks box that my SFA arrived in 6 years ago.
It did have “The Axe Book” attached to the handle, however the book was an older book fore it did not list the forgers name that’s stamped on the head. I did find the forgers name listed online on Gränsfors website of current forgers and found said forger on Facebook.
I believe the axe is genuine based on those things mentioned.

Was not aware counterfeit Gränsfors Bruk axes was a thing, appreciate the info.

Am I seeing a shadow or does the handle not completely fill the eye?

I keep my SSA hanging right next to wood I keep in the garage. I use it to split kindling and adjusting the size and shape of my splits before the stove eats them. I love my small splitting axe. It is not hung perfectly, however, the head is slightly crooked if you look down the center line of the axe. The grain orientation is acceptable and the handle completely fills the eye. I’ve had this axe for probably 5 years or so and it’s just as good as day one.

Attachments

• 765D370D-863E-4B98-88B8-73C5A9C01721.jpeg
    765D370D-863E-4B98-88B8-73C5A9C01721.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 189
  • 040796A6-D0CA-46C0-AEC2-2030D116BD0A.jpeg
    040796A6-D0CA-46C0-AEC2-2030D116BD0A.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 167
  • 804BC000-3D28-43E4-9871-D1D0F24C0963.jpeg
    804BC000-3D28-43E4-9871-D1D0F24C0963.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 184
  • B7698D57-FC7F-49D7-B8CF-8B870598E83B.jpeg
    B7698D57-FC7F-49D7-B8CF-8B870598E83B.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 167
Am I seeing a shadow or does the handle not completely fill the eye?
It's shadow. The handle is not flush with the head. I don't think my GB carving hatchet is like this, but I would have to double check.

My handle sticks up past the eye about an 1/8”. This seems to be pretty standard with hand crafted axes. I do the same when I hang my axes.

Attachments

• 44F6CD76-826B-42CF-8492-C22C9D3413B6.jpeg
    44F6CD76-826B-42CF-8492-C22C9D3413B6.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 161
If you go to Buckin’ Billy Ray Smiths site and watch him hang (install a handle on) an axe, he always lets at least 1/4 inch of the handle protrude past the end of the axe. He says it is to let the end of the handle expand slightly when the wedges go in, and so keep the axe head on better.

If you go to Buckin’ Billy Ray Smiths site and watch him hang (install a handle on) an axe, he always lets at least 1/4 inch of the handle protrude past the end of the axe. He says it is to let the end of the handle expand slightly when the wedges go in, and so keep the axe head on better.

Buckin is a good dude. His channel is a great source of information and inspiration

@RandyBoBandy
You are not seeing a shadow, other than the handle being very rough half way down, the eye being a bit oversized and requiring a shim upfront and a longer wedge to fill it in are my only concerns first and foremost and gripes second considering the cost, it just looks like a late Friday hang, a factory second, and if it’s perfectly functional and won’t require extra attention to keep it going or to do a rehang when that time comes I’m fine with that, it’s a tool. I suppose I’d feel better if I paid a factory second cost as opposed to full price for a factory second imo.

@SpaceBus
The handle does not fill the eye, it seems a forward shim was added in the front and a longer wedge to fill in the rear.
Yes, the handle sits up higher then the head, all my wood axes are this way, I have no concerns with that.

Photo one shows a shadow in the rear, photo four shows how the wedge is longer to fill in the gap at the rear.

Hello,
New member here.

Would like others opinions on this recent purchase.
New Gränsfors Bruk Small Splitting Axe, purchased in the US from a dealer in the US.

Requested when ordered for the best of the batch, this is what I received.

Is this satisfactory these days with this company? My SFA is flawless, this however seems a bit less than what I was expecting.
Right out of the box I got a splinter via the handle and the hang looks to be done late on Friday.

If this is satisfactory in the eyes of the majority and it’s just a aesthetic flaw but is safe and perfectly functional then I will break out the sandpaper and BLO and spend a little time on it and call it a day.

If you care to share photos of what is and is not acceptable that would be outstanding.

Greatly appreciate all the feedback.

View attachment 255084View attachment 255085View attachment 255086View attachment 255087View attachment 255088View attachment 255089
New
For what these cost, if you are not satisfied, take it back immediately. What we think from a few pictures doesn't matter.

If a company that sells a primative tool is going to charge a premium price, they better produce something that doesn't invoke the feelings that you are having. You can get something that will do the same exact job for a whole lot less, and not make you feel ripped off.

@RandyBoBandy
You are not seeing a shadow, other than the handle being very rough half way down, the eye being a bit oversized and requiring a shim upfront and a longer wedge to fill it in are my only concerns first and foremost and gripes second considering the cost, it just looks like a late Friday hang, a factory second, and if it’s perfectly functional and won’t require extra attention to keep it going or to do a rehang when that time comes I’m fine with that, it’s a tool. I suppose I’d feel better if I paid a factory second cost as opposed to full price for a factory second imo.
With this being said I would return it. It should be perfect for the price you paid. That is a horrible hang.

The rough lower part of the handle is purposeful. It is for grip. Looking closer at your photos, one could almost say the eye is deformed and a little wedge was used on the bit side to make up that gap. The back side of the eye seems to have a fairly large gap as well. For an axe costing $170.00 or so the handle should fill the eye completely.

Another theory could be the blacksmith did not shape the handle correctly to fit the eye. He took off to much meat and instead of throwing the handle out and starting over he shimmed it and put it in the completed bin. Then went to the pub because it was 5:00 on a Friday.

I'd return it as well. My axes, picks and hatchets are much finer fitting than that. The handles I've replaced personally over the years make that look like a hatchet from Harbor Freight. Shame on them.

Update

I was able to speak with someone at Grand Forest in South Carolina who is affiliated with Gränsfors Bruk.
EXTREMELY nice and professional customer service.
I explained my concerns and they asked for photos.
I sent the same photos I posted here.
I got a call back the very next day asking for the axe to be returned fore it is not acceptable and they will be shipping out a replacement.

I will update with photos when i receive the new axe.

Or one could go with a Snow & Nealley hatchet . . . probably not quite as nice, but the price is decent. Met the Amish folks who bought the company a few years back.

Reactions: My_3_Girls
Usually these higher end brands who have been around a lot longer than any of us and have a reputation to live up to will do right by the customer. Sounds like that was the case here. When you pay more money for products like this I believe that alone allows you to hold that company to a much higher standard and expectation than say a brand like Husky from Home Depot. Any pics of the new one??

I was at an event this weekend where all sort of woods tools were door prizes, There were a couple of the new Snow and Nealy's on the table, they looked real nice, better than I remembered when I visited the factory store while in college (many years ago). There were also some Council Axes up for grabs, they definitely looked more like a commodity ax. Everyone wanted the S&N axes so I went for a hoe for digging drainage ditches and won one.

There is around 280 miles of the Appalachian Trail in Maine and its maintained almost exclusively by volunteers so the MATC makes sure we have access to the right tools and training.

Replacement axe.

Attachments

• 0F2C71A5-CC29-4E17-9FBF-E34BD889BCCE.jpeg
    0F2C71A5-CC29-4E17-9FBF-E34BD889BCCE.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 9EA4FC66-262F-46F1-BC4D-98E0AE547B2F.jpeg
    9EA4FC66-262F-46F1-BC4D-98E0AE547B2F.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 5D7F2CE4-F463-4015-A2E1-C44462D09F7B.jpeg
    5D7F2CE4-F463-4015-A2E1-C44462D09F7B.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 154
  • CDE51A8F-61E0-43BB-8E61-6E112415BA57.jpeg
    CDE51A8F-61E0-43BB-8E61-6E112415BA57.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 146
That looks much better. Have you swung it yet?