Grandma Bear for new work shop Yes? No?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bootjack

Jan 31, 2021
NW PA
So I have the stove sitting in my barn. It is in good condition. I am building a new 1000s.f. workshop of my dreams. Very well insulated. I have ample dry hardwood firewood available. I was talked out of installing a new efficient BK due to slow burn and questionable good draft. Here's my situation:

I know about the code and insurance issues with the Fisher. Also about no flammables....all that stuff. Let's talk about whether this is otherwise a good shop stove. I can't go straight up through roof which I know is prefered.

This stove has a rear exit 8" flue. I want to reduce it down to 6" as it exits the stove (single wall inside, Class A SS outside). This way I can later plumb in a more modern stove 6"flue stove easily, if I choose. I would come out of the stove and immediately turn a 90 up for about 7 ft. then turn 90 and go through the wall. Put in an outside t w/ cleanout and turn 90 up to miss the gable end eve. I know this stove will easily heat my space. Do you think all the turns will kill my draft? Any other +/-? Thanks

How high will the chimney be? Chimney height creates draft, Elbows and pipe configuration decreases draft. So that can make up for draft issues. 7 foot rise out the back helps get it going. If you need big heat in a hurry and lots of wood I’d try it.

Roof line is 11' from the floor. I was hoping to go only 3 ft. or so above that for esthetics. We're putting a lot into making the outside look nice...not your normal shop/shed. This shop has a steel roof and Hardy siding, soffits and facia, so pretty impervious to sparks from the flue. I thought if it didn't draft, I'd have to put another 3 ft. of pipe on. If that didn't work I'd probable sell it.

p.s. I became a Fisher fan many years ago while living in Oregon. Our only heat was from a Momma Bear...a small cabin.

Fishers and similar old stoves make great shop stoves but just put a tee on the back of the stove then run straight up through the roof it will cost much less and work much better. And be really easy to clean. As far as 6 vs 8. I typically go with 7 on these it seems to work the best