Grandma from England Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnomic1

Nov 5, 2015
England
Hi Coaly,

I'm a newbie on all fronts, first wood burner first Fisher stove and first time time trying to replace firebricks, I think I need a little help. Here a some pictures of the stove.
Fisher-Stove-Front.png Fisher-Stove-Doors-Open.png Fisher-Stove-Internal.png

I believe it is a Grandma and because it has an baffle fitted I believe it might be a series iv model. Is this correct?

I am trying to replace the firebricks and got hold of the ones matching the manual I had, but that was for a stove without a baffle. Do you know of a firebrick plan for the my stove?

Appreciate your help on this,

Cheers, Gnomic1

Hi Coaly,

I'm a newbie on all fronts, first wood burner first Fisher stove and first time time trying to replace firebricks, I think I need a little help. Here a some pictures of the stove.
View attachment 166073 View attachment 166075 View attachment 166074

I believe it is a Grandma and because it has an baffle fitted I believe it might be a series iv model. Is this correct?

I am trying to replace the firebricks and got hold of the ones matching the manual I had, but that was for a stove without a baffle. Do you know of a firebrick plan for the my stove?

Appreciate your help on this,

Cheers, Gnomic1

You're right that it is a Grandma. I have a series 3 grandma, but mine never had a baffle installed. I'm sure Coaly will chime in and let you know his thoughts on the fire brick pattern. Were the bricks that were already in your stove not fitted properly? The obvious answer is to just replicate what was already done, but you wouldn't be asking the question if that were easily do-able.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum !

The Model IV is a glass door model.
This would be a III. (with Fireplace Legs)
IF your measurements are the same as America and Canada, this would be the brick configuration;
upload_2015-11-5_11-20-3.png

The factory baffle here is above brick retainers and does not affect brick placement.

You're right that it is a Grandma. I have a series 2 grandma, but mine never had a baffle installed. I'm sure Coaly will chime in and let you know his thoughts on the fire brick pattern. Were the bricks that were already in your stove not fitted properly? The obvious answer is to just replicate what was already done, but you wouldn't be asking the question if that were easily do-able.
Hi Dave,

thanks for the info. Re the fire ricks, they were almost no existent with the exception of the bottom ones. Rather than measure the ones that did remain I foolishly went by what the manual said ignorant of the variations that each model edition had. Also the bottom bricks were cemented in, so were a bit tough to get out whole ;)

Cheers, Gnomic1

The Model IV is a glass door model.
This would be a III.
IF your measurements are the same as America and Canada, this would be the brick configuration;
View attachment 166081

The factory baffle here is above brick retainers and does not affect brick placement.

Hi, thanks for this, unfortunately the baffle is lower than the width of the brick, so they will not fit under. I will recheck, but am fairly sure the bricks are butted against it.

Cheers, Gnomic1

Our baffle plates are made from the same material as the top and set on angle iron welded to the sides;

Smoke Shelf Baffle 1984 Goldilocks.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.