Grandma in the off season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frankdozer

Burning Hunk
Aug 31, 2016
Maine
Off Season

56A2B1F2-B19E-418F-8DAB-A48E073204EE.jpeg

I love those stoves and I hope it has a nice rest for the summer.. Boy do they look like strength and power from years ago...They just do not make them like that any more.. I like the brickwork too. How large is that stove pipe and is it special for that base to be so fat? clancey.

Reactions: Frankdozer
I love those stoves and I hope it has a nice rest for the summer.. Boy do they look like strength and power from years ago...They just do not make them like that any more.. I like the brickwork too. How large is that stove pipe and is it special for that base to be so fat? clancey.
No they make them far better. The stove pipe is 8" off the stove reduced to 6"

Yea I realize stoves are so much better today but its the history of the long ago stuff that gets me and to see it in the natural is kind of neat..I guess one would call it nostalgia or something. It like looking at a pretty picture of long ago and seeing all the stuff in the picture at that time and thinking about how the peoples lives were---nostalgia is is----lol lol .. It is a beautiful stove just like my old time bathtub is a beautiful tub and it was designed at that time by people who believed in just plain old simple function.. These items to me are special and very special people made them in my estimation as well...Neat....clancey

Yea I realize stoves are so much better today but its the history of the long ago stuff that gets me and to see it in the natural is kind of neat..I guess one would call it nostalgia or something. It like looking at a pretty picture of long ago and seeing all the stuff in the picture at that time and thinking about how the peoples lives were---nostalgia is is----lol lol .. It is a beautiful stove just like my old time bathtub is a beautiful tub and it was designed at that time by people who believed in just plain old simple function.. These items to me are special and very special people made them in my estimation as well...Neat....clancey
I get that but I just don't see it in fishers. They were innovative in the business side of things but there were many manufacturers at the time that were much more innovative in stove development. That being said fisher did make good very durable stoves in massive numbers at a pretty low price at a time when people needed affordable heat.

I look at these old things and think how many of these types of gadgets actually saved people lives as they heated whole houses in the coldest of winter. How many of the old cooking stoves made things a bit easier for populations of people years and years ago...Nostalgia I say Nostalgia...--lol lol... Nice to look at and dream of long ago...but real glad I am born in our age.. lol lol..

I look at these old things and think how many of these types of gadgets actually saved people lives as they heated whole houses in the coldest of winter. How many of the old cooking stoves made things a bit easier for populations of people years and years ago...Nostalgia I say Nostalgia...--lol lol... Nice to look at and dream of long ago...but real glad I am born in our age.. lol lol..
Again I get it but these are just from the 70s and 80s. I guess they are just nothing special to me because I still see so many. And most have chimneys that are a pain in the butt to clean. (Mainly due to wet wood or improper operation) they can be burnt so they don't make a mess of the chimney.

They look like they were long before the 70' s and 80's being so sturdy looking but still I bet a lot of people like these stoves and they seem to fetch a pretty good price as well..Something about them are just so intriguing to me maybe the look of strength or something or even maybe the whole family of them that would point into the love of heritage or something--Mama, PaPa, Grandfathers, Grandmothers, and Babies.. They were certainly salespeople in those days and knew how to sell them...I just like the looks and there is something about them that intrigues me and even the name--Fisher..something here for me but I cannot put my finger on it..I love seeing them especially when they are painted so pretty with the silver outlining the name--I like that...lol lol...clancey

Again I get it but these are just from the 70s and 80s. I guess they are just nothing special to me because I still see so many. And most have chimneys that are a pain in the butt to clean. (Mainly due to wet wood or improper operation) they can be burnt so they don't make a mess of the chimney.
WOW bholler….I'm sure glad you don't frequent the old cars sites that my friends and I love and support. Couldn't stand you continually going on there about our gas guzzlers, no air, lack of today's safety features etc etc etc. You need to chill a little bit.

WOW bholler….I'm sure glad you don't frequent the old cars sites that my friends and I love and support. Couldn't stand you continually going on there about our gas guzzlers, no air, lack of today's safety features etc etc etc. You need to chill a little bit.
I have several classic cars and my daily driver is a 1990 bronco. But my work vehicles and the vehicle we take on long trips are modern ones because they are more reliable and efficient. I have no issue at all with old stoves or old cars. I have used many old stoves including fishers. Infact I still have a fisher I use occasionally in one of my out buildings. But for full time heating of my home there is no way I would be using an old stove like that anymore. They simply don't work as well in anyway other than very high but short lived peak btus. I am just being honest about old stoves if people choose to use them that is fine by me. Just because I point out the benefits of modern things when it comes to performance and efficiency doesn't mean I don't respect older things as well.

I will say personally I don't get the whole fisher thing myself. There were many much more interesting and efficient stoves being made at the time. Dutch wests, moroso, jotul, Vermont castings, cawley lemays, and others were already experimenting with secondary combustion to increase efficency while fishers didn't even install baffles.

Last edited:
You leave my old stove nostalgia alone you old bholler and we are not talking about using the stove but looking at it and remembering the olden days and the same with those beautiful cars that cannot be replaced------I love those too----lol lol.....But the difference is . "I would drive one of those and they are just wonderful " gas hogs yes but one gets a real secure feeling in one of those things and I sold my late husbands wonderful 1963 Chevy step side pick up truck for one hundred dollars with the understanding that they would fix it up and they did and turned out beautiful and worth a lot of money today and they still use it...Why it is Apple Red and all Chrome and Real leather and the whole bit-----------Beautiful---------------and that's how those old stoves are tooooo---------Beautiful....From Old Mrs Clancey....Take this message everyone with Jest for I like that old bholler.......and Thank you Desmond and "Yes" He should chill out....lol lol

What a beautiful stove-----------------Yes..

You leave my old stove nostalgia alone you old bholler and we are not talking about using the stove but looking at it and remembering the olden days and the same with those beautiful cars that cannot be replaced------I love those too----lol lol.....But the difference is . "I would drive one of those and they are just wonderful " gas hogs yes but one gets a real secure feeling in one of those things and I sold my late husbands wonderful 1963 Chevy step side pick up truck for one hundred dollars with the understanding that they would fix it up and they did and turned out beautiful and worth a lot of money today and they still use it...Why it is Apple Red and all Chrome and Real leather and the whole bit-----------Beautiful---------------and that's how those old stoves are tooooo---------Beautiful....From Old Mrs Clancey....Take this message everyone with Jest for I like that old bholler.......and Thank you Desmond and "Yes" He should chill out....lol lol

What a beautiful stove-----------------Yes..
I will say I like old cars as well. But there are a few modifications I make to just about all of mine. First radial tires which is a given. I almost always swap out front drums to discs and get rid of the points for electronic ignition. After you do that yes I agree with the secure feeling comment. Drum brakes just don't give me a secure feeling especially if you drive the vehicles hard at all.

For the record my favorite stoves are the cawley lemay 400 and 600. Beautiful very high quality castings with a very early secondary combustion system that worked pretty well.

I agree with you on the drums of the old vehicles for the old things seem to sway a bit more on the road without a switch...As far as the stoves you mentioned I will look those up and see how they are "with my nostalgia for old things",,,lol Thanks,,,clancey

I agree with you on the drums of the old vehicles for the old things seem to sway a bit more on the road without a switch...As far as the stoves you mentioned I will look those up and see how they are "with my nostalgia for old things",,,lol Thanks,,,clancey
I posted a link for the cawleys

Thanks they are very ornate and beautiful but I will do more reading about them a bit later---thanks for the link---they are beautiful and I will enjoy this research "on these things"--stoves later...Thanks so much...clancey..

I have several classic cars and my daily driver is a 1990 bronco. But my work vehicles and the vehicle we take on long trips are modern ones because they are more reliable and efficient. I have no issue at all with old stoves or old cars. I have used many old stoves including fishers. Infact I still have a fisher I use occasionally in one of my out buildings. But for full time heating of my home there is no way I would be using an old stove like that anymore. They simply don't work as well in anyway other than very high but short lived peak btus. I am just being honest about old stoves if people choose to use them that is fine by me. Just because I point out the benefits of modern things when it comes to performance and efficiency doesn't mean I don't respect older things as well.

I will say personally I don't get the whole fisher thing myself. There were many much more interesting and efficient stoves being made at the time. Dutch wests, moroso, jotul, Vermont castings, cawley lemays, and others were already experimenting with secondary combustion to increase efficency while fishers didn't even install baffles.
Your second paragraph that says ( I don't get the whole fisher thing) says it all.

Your second paragraph that says ( I don't get the whole fisher thing) says it all.
Yes it does I work on hundreds of stoves and chimneys a year have run dozens of stoves in my home and outbuildings. And from that experience I just don't see it.

What other stoves have you run btw? What makes fishers such great stoves?

Your in trouble now bholler lol lol lol There is a Fisher Fan out there and I join him...lol lol clancey Just look at this beautiful stove.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/56a2b1f2-b19e-418f-8dab-a48e073204ee-jpeg.277242/

Mrs clancey
If you guys think they are beautiful thats fine. I think they look fine but not beautiful. I was just pointing out function and innovation yes fisher was a huge part of the woodstove boom in the 70s and 80s because of the marketing and buisness model. Not their engineering

Blah Blah Blah-----lol "For me I do not want to run them just have them sit there and be pretty and let people see how the old wood stoves were built especially with all that cast iron work.. Now as far as my newly got advocate he will just have to talk for himself.. but Grandma is very upset with you "old bhollar" lol lol.. old mrs clancey here..

Blah Blah Blah-----lol "For me I do not want to run them just have them sit there and be pretty and let people see how the old wood stoves were built especially with all that cast iron work.. Now as far as my newly got advocate he will just have to talk for himself.. but Grandma is very upset with you "old bhollar" lol lol.. old mrs clancey here..
Fishers are not cast stoves they are plate steel with simple cast doors.

Well okay---but they look like cast iron and are heavy enough...lol clancey------Who cares at this point a wood stove is a wood stove....lol. especially our "beautiful stove"---even if it does not work....enjoyable to look at ...clancey...

Well okay---but they look like cast iron and are heavy enough...lol clancey------Who cares at this point a wood stove is a wood stove....lol. especially our "beautiful stove"---even if it does not work....enjoyable to look at ...clancey...
Yes but isn't a woodstove that gives you many times more heat from the same ammout of wood a clear benifit?

Btw frank sorry for taking your thread so far off track. I just took the opportunity to try to understand the fisher thing and why people are willing to pay so much for them