Grandma Paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frankdozer

Burning Hunk
Aug 31, 2016
Maine
My Grandma has the factory paint on it and still looks good for 40 plus years old. But I still want to paint it to make it look better. I would like to use spray paint.
What was the paint the factory used back then ?
After I paint it will it smoke up the house ?
Also what silver paint is used on the front doors to highlife the trees and name

Stove Bright in Satin Black, same paint the factory used. It will take 2, maybe 3 spray cans to finish.
The paint does put off an odor when first fired. Burn it hot outside once if you can.
Fisher's didn't have the trees on the doors painted originally. If you want to do that use any engine paint.
Also, there's lots of info on this site on refinishing Fishers.

Decided not to repaint it but I will silver the highlites as time goes on.

Attachments

• 6C18B796-337F-459C-8EA5-56A7937651EC.jpeg
    6C18B796-337F-459C-8EA5-56A7937651EC.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: thewoodlands
Yea, that stove looks too nice to paint.
Those claw feet are worth more than the stove.
What size flue is in the wall?

By the size of that trap and “slow” shoes, I’d stay inside with that stove!

Reactions: Osage
If not for the “slow” shoes I would not be able to out run the chipmunks that I trap in the winter. LOL !!!
I purchased that stove from the original owner a couple of years ago. He rarely used it. He did not realize all the work leading up to using it.
The cast iron feet which are chrome I got from EBAY. What are the feet worth?
The flue is 6”.

There are several on EBAY presently for $400 plus shipping. Different than mine. Mine are chrome plated cast iron with flat side of hole towards the toes. Whereas those on EBAY are pointed side towards the toes and I think they are not cast iron. Are they all the same price or ......

Reducing your stovepipe size from 8" to a 6" flue might cause you problems. Others here are far more experienced than me with this since I've only owned/ran single door fishers.

Here is my mythology,
Grandma does approximately 1500 square feet. The Flue is 8” round so as to accommodate the opening of the double doors, (each with an air intake), to watch the fire like a fireplace. I do not watch the fire like a fireplace and the double doors will never be open simultaneously. I like the looks of the stove and it’s strictly for heating my home.
Now, take the Papa. It does approximately 2250 square feet. The flue is 6” round and has a single door. The single door has 2 air intakes.
I would hazard a guess that it will be just fine !!!

Seems to me, from what I recall people had problems when opening the doors to load wood, they would get smoke rolling in since you're opening both doors to load, unlike a Papa.
Also depends on the actual size of the flue and if you're running a baffle.
Time will tell.