Grandma

Todd67

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2012
Northern NY
From what I've read, it seems they can differ slightly. The Grandma Bear will have 5 firebricks across the back of the stove. The Grandpa Bear will have 6 firebricks across the back.

Welcome to the forum!

tiffayla

Dec 5, 2019
Tennessee
From what I've read, it seems they can differ slightly. The Grandma Bear will have 5 firebricks across the back of the stove. The Grandpa Bear will have 6 firebricks across the back.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks,my grandma is slightly different in measurement smaller actually by inch or so both ways,so I was confused . Today I looked on back of the door and it had G M L , I'm assuming grandma left door! I've actually owned papa and baby bear in the past. Currently own a mama bear, fireplace insert and a fixer Grandma which will be beautiful when I'm done.

Reactions: Todd67

Todd67

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2012
Northern NY
You are correct, the G M L is for Grandma Left door.

I heat my 2-story house with a Mama Bear. I have an attic that is mostly finished with drywall and insulation, and the attic always stay warm enough to use all winter. That is saying a lot, considering I live in northern NY.

I bought my house in 2008 and it had a Baby Bear in the mud room. It wasn't installed, but it got my attention because I was new to wood stoves and wood burning. My research led me to this great forum in 2012. I restored that Baby and it sits in my mud room as a display stove, along with my restored Coal Bear and a very early unfired Papa Bear that I will restore next summer (it rusted a little by sitting in a basement it's whole life).

I also have a 1976 Grandma in my garage that I will restore next summer, and a very early Papa with a 3 piece top and plain door in my living room as an end table. My Grandpa Bear is restored and in use at my neighbor's house.

IMG_20191112_223300.jpg

Enplater

Jun 6, 2017
NH
I have a grandma and I believe it to be a “wide body” grandma bear. If I remember correctly it’s a little wider and a little less deep then normal.