Grandpa Bear Glass Doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rozuna

Dec 13, 2022
US, Pennsylvania
We own a beautiful Fisher Grandpa Bear Wood Stove. Works great! However, we have searched high and low for glass door replacements. Granted, Bob began to put glass doors on his later models, we were wondering if there Are any places to search for a pair that would fit our Grandpa Bear. We welcome any leads/ideas thank you
21E61F9F-4336-4A28-B226-3CED6588DCAD.jpeg
A1074139-3C75-4558-B453-BDBAED921CAC.jpeg

You pictured a Fisher Fireplace Insert. This model uses Grandma doors, but has no bear name given.
(Providing this is full size Insert, which it appears to be, but would need measurements and other details to confirm)

A Grandpa is a freestanding stove with larger doors that also heats a larger area than Grandma. You have a convection Insert, not radiant stove.

You cannot simply change doors to glass. The stove is built for glass doors with primary air intakes on the sides, and air wash across the front for air across glass to keep it clean. Your doors have the air intakes on them. Glass doors do not have intakes on them. You would have a sealed box with no air intake.

Changing doors on any Fisher Stove requires the hinge plates to be removed from stove and welded at the correct position to fit each door. There were many foundries casting doors, using many patterns or molds to pour the iron in. They vary, requiring each hinge plate to be welded at the exact position needed for each door.

Thank you @coaly for the information. I asked the forum because I saw several pictures with doors that had both glass and the umbrella intakes. Similar to the picture I attached here.
77650875-DF1A-40C1-B4E3-833D1D1206FE.jpeg
4219AAF3-3169-465C-BFEA-30A57659BBDE.jpeg